how do you insure funds in your trading account?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by igotworms, Sep 29, 2008.

1. What is the minimum amount of investment in T-Bills? Are they sold in 100k "lot" sizes?

#11     Sep 29, 2008

2. Holy shit, that's a good idea. Is that only for futures accounts?

#12     Sep 29, 2008
  3. wiseass

wiseass

so if i have a futures position open and all of a sudden i find out my broker has gone under. what happens then?

#13     Sep 30, 2008
  4. Specterx

Specterx

SIPC insures accounts up to $100k in cash and $500k in securities, though securities can only be "lost" if your broker is doing something illegal. When you buy a stock or a futures contract or whatever it's in your name, not the broker's.

IB has additional private insurance for up to $1.5m in cash, I think.

#14     Sep 30, 2008
  5. What should happen is the CFTC would arrange sale of insolvent broker to new broker as in Refco futures to Mann Global. They would transfer your position. I would be more concerned if the bank that holds your supposed segregated account flops.

#15     Sep 30, 2008
  6. Traber

Traber

I'm learning a lot in this thread.

Keep it going

#16     Sep 30, 2008
  7. SIPC does not cover futures contracts.

Stock at a broker is held in street name not your name.

Customer securities accounts at Interactive Brokers are protected up to $30 million (including up to $1 million for cash).

#17     Sep 30, 2008
  8. It is not the futures broker you have to worry about, it is the clearing firm that holds your cash and positions. In the past customers of clearing firm failures have been eventually made whole, but your account could be frozen for days to months.

#18     Sep 30, 2008
  9. Often the bank that holds the segregated funds is different according to the currency you open the account with your broker/ FCM: so are foreign currencies deposited in a US-based futures account protected at the same way as in USD?
    :eek:

#19     Sep 30, 2008
  10. I am not sure as I am a US citizen holding only USD at this point. I wouldn't think they holding bank would be different because on the wire instructions I have only seen one?

#20     Sep 30, 2008