How do you have one program with audio output override anouther?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TRADERguy, Dec 3, 2005.

1. I use an audio newswire service from need to know news www.needtoknownews.com. They use a player from these people: http://www.totalviewmarketing.com/totalview_ntkn_campaign.htm.

This is the only program I have running on a Pentium III, 1 gig, Dell Dimension 4100 with 512 RAM, & Windows 2K w/service pack 4. The sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster PCI; I could open the case if more details are needed.

I would like to play music (mp3s) on the computer and have the newswire play (override the music) every time there is a headline. Does anyone know a way to do this?

Cheers,

TRADERguy

2. bighog

bighog Guest

if i were you and with Christmas coming. Reward yourself with a new pc......:D

3. Unless the newswire player has settings to interrupt active audio data streams it can't be done. Besides, if this is your trading box, do you really want bog it down with audio, let alone multiple audio? IMHO a trading box is just that. Anything else gets it's own box... time for another PC.

Happy Chrismaqwanzaka to you and yours.

4. Intersting question... Found one garage shop guy doing something like this but its not a product - but maybe some does have one that is...

http://www.morrowmarsh.ca/concours/techpages/audiooverridebox.htm

cj...

:)

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

5. Beskrivelse:
    The ideal solution for providing and controlling audio at remote locations
    Exaudi HitPlayer combines two stand-alone audio players with IP network services into a superior solution for both automated and interactive audio applications. Whether the program material is streamed, played from local storage, or a combination of both, Exaudi HitPlayer is an innovative choice for background music, public address, entertainment sound, interactive audio systems, and transportation information. HitPlayer-L is unlike any other audio player.
    An internal hard disk stores weeks of audio content. Industry standard, digital audio file formats, such as mp3 and MPEG Layer II, are used to maximize quality and the number of files that can be stored.
    Audio selections are played based on programmed playlists, a playback scheduler, and/or network commands. Playlists can be updated by automatic or on-demand synchronization with remote FTP servers.
    HitPlayer-L can act as either a server or agent for reliable UDP/IP unicast or multicast. Multiple high-quality audio channels can be managed from a single point-of-control.
    Two independent stereo players with individual outputs. These may be combined into a single output with mixing and crossfades.
    Network control of HitPlayer-L and interaction with other equipment is accomplished using Aztec Radiomedias IP2 operating system. IP2 connects HitPlayer-L to intranets, extranets, or the Internet for TCP/IP control and updating. It embeds standards-based interfaces, enabling developers to build a variety of remote management scenarios that:
    - Determine status and send commands using TCP, UDP, Telnet, SNMP, HTTP, and standard web browsers.
    - Program automatically generated events and alarm notifications via e-mail, HTTP requests, and SNMP traps.
    - Update digital audio files and system firmware using FTP.
    Connection to network is provided by 10BaseT Ethernet or an external modem that supports PPP.
    Two RS-232 serial ports for device management.
    HitPlayer-L is designed for rapid implementation. Both stand-alone and large scale integration are possible.
    Flexible operation is provided by two different configurations:
    - Rack-mounted HitPlayer-L
    - SPX420 OEM board for easy integration into custom hardware configurations.
    Local audio storage
    HitPlayer-L uses standard, economical FAT32 formatted IDE hard drives. These are capable of providing weeks of non-repeating audio programming. The hard drives may be quickly installed or removed (three screws and two connectors) and may be placed into a PC to preload content.
    Audio networking, standard networks
    Digigrams audio networking technology provides reliable, multichannel digital audio broadcasting over standard networks. Using UDP/IP, streams can be sent to a single, distant site (point-to-point) or numerous (point-to-multipoint) destinations.
    The widespread availability of network bandwidth makes this an efficient and high-quality choice for closed audio networks. A HitPlayer-L can function as either a server or an agent. Multiple audio channels may be transmitted on the network by HitPlayer-L servers and assigned to agents. <b>Audio channel priority can be established so that an announcement made over the assigned priority channel mutes ongoing programming.</b>
    Many devices can become audio networking agents using the SPX420 OEM board. For example, the SPX420 may be used to create a network of powered speakers.
    Automatic playback is accomplished using the playlist function. HitPlayer-L has two, independent players, each managed by its own playlist. The playlists can be configured to link to a single audio output with mixing and crossfading capabilities. The HitPlayer-Ls playlist function offers the following:
    Popular software such as Powergold or Winamp may be used to create playlists.
    Playlist files are stored using .pls and .m3u formats, enabling each song or jingle to be programmed using complex conditional rules based on:
    - Time of day
    - Specific start or stop time
    - Frequency of playback, including maximum number of plays within an authorized time window
    Continuous play can be started by an external trigger or programmed date/time parameters.
    Playlists can be sequenced.
    A powerful scheduler, using simple text files, adds the flexibility to add time- and date-dependent announcements and jingles.
    The HitPlayer-L maintains a detailed history of all files played and significant system events. This is useful in providing proof-of-play when selling advertisements. The log file can be retrieved in multiple ways: local terminal, FTP, web browser or TCP. Log file size is user programmable.
    Audio Interface
    HitPlayer-L comes standard with two independent, line-level stereo outputs. These are provided on phono (RCA) connectors. A balanced, XLR output connection is optional. Balanced line level audio inputs are also available as an option for local recording and to feed a HitPlayer serving as a streaming server.
    TCP/IP network connectivity and services
    blah blah blah - but it does what you ask... i think...

went to google and put in Audio Channel Priority and found a number of things besides this...

here is link

http://www.mpro-broadcast.com/product.asp?product=197

cj...

:)

6. (EUR 1.835,57)

WOW pricey stuff...

instead...

get a new computer and a modem and an 8-port switch...just plug in puters' as you expand and never get rid of your old ones...buy radio shack warranties instead...

7. Guys,

This is my backup computer. As I stated in my first post, the only thing that runs on it is the newswire service.

8. I had a feeling that it was going to come down to an external switch. If I can find a switch, anyone have any ideas how I can get two audio signals out of the same computer? If I get a 2nd sound card can I get the newswire service to run on one and have the player playing MP3s running through the other card?

9. I do keep the old ones...except I parted ways with my old 286 and 386 :) . If I ran the music on a 3rd computer, any ideas on how to get the headline to override the music?

Cheers,

TRADERguy

10. TRADERguy..

no I am sorry.

Good trading to you..YOU MIGHT CHECK SOME OF THE NAVIGATION PROGRAMS THAT HAVE AUDIO IN AUTOMOBILES AND SEE WHAT KIND OF CODING THEY USE...

Michael B.

#10     Dec 3, 2005