How do you handle a Trading Error?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by aphexcoil, Sep 9, 2002.

1. OK, I did not make myself very clear on that one. Made me realize there are two different types of erroneous exit situations.

<b>Erroneous Exit #1: Simple Premature Exit</b> Say you enter a long position (we could repeat the example with short positions, too). Your long position has neither reached its stop-loss or its profit target when you accidentally exit by selling it (maybe you botched typing in the trailing stop or a profit target order). The point is you just botched your trading plan by exiting at the wrong time. Do you re-enter your intended position?

<b>Erroneous Exit #2: Botched Add to the Position</b> Say you enter a long position and realize that the setup pattern is much stronger than you expected (I'll leave it as ambiguous as to whether one is bottomfeeding or trend-following here). So, you go to buy more to add to your long position, but end up accidently exiting (you hit sell instead of buy). Do you re-enter your long? And, if so, do you enter a double-size long position that you had originally intended to create?

<b>Is Discipline Asymmetric?</b> My gut is conflicted on how to handle erroneous exits vs. erroneous entries. I generally agree that one should exit any erroneous entries on the basis of adhering to a trading plan. But this rule of adhering to a trading plan would suggest that one should automatically re-enter any erroneously exited position too. But re-entering seems suspect to me from a risk standpoint because by the time you recognize that the error has occurred, the setup is long past. And if the rule is to "reevaluate" then that logic should be applied to both erroneous entries and erroneous exits (and maybe applied to positions that are near their loss limits too?!?!?!).

Its these types of little inconsistencies in thought processes that are really interesting to me both as a trader and as a person who is trying to understand how other traders behave.

Happy (error-free) trading to all,
    Traden4Alpha

#21     Sep 11, 2002