How do you guys trade off of range bars (or Heikin Ashi)? *pic*

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronFist, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I was sick of seeing huge tall candles on constant volume and tick charts so I opened up some range charts. omg they trended beautifully, almost like Heikin-Ashi charts.

...until I tried them live (on a demo account, of course) and realized a new bar forms like every 8 seconds. I can't trade that fast!!!

So for you guys who trade off of range bars, how do you do it?

Part 2:

How do you guys trade off of Heikin-Ashi candles? They trend wonderfully and if you apply like an 8 period Hull Moving Average it becomes a trend-follower's dream!

...until you realize that you're not seeing actual price data. And those "trends" you're seeing are lagging behind the actual price data.

I even went as far as applying the slope from an HMA(8) from Heikin-Ashi candles to my regular candles, but then the lag becomes even more apparent. Oh well.

So for you Heikin-Ashi guys, how do you do it and what do you use them for?

I attached a pic of what I'm talking about with Heikin-Ashi candles so you can see.

2. yayt

yayt

make your range
    Larger

3. Dude, get through your head that you are looking at PAST data. It looks so easy doesn't it looking at that chart all pink and all blue.

When you got a significant amount of money in the instrument you are trading and are sweating it, its a whole different ballgame.

And by the way, I never seen a billionaire rice farmer. Have you?

4. The whole reason I tried range charts in the first place was because I didn't like the giant candles that kept appearing even in relatively fast tick bars.

Bigger range bars will take me back to those huge bars I hate.

Or maybe it won't be so bad. I only hate the huge bars when they come after a bunch of small ones. Maybe if they're all huge it won't be as bad. lol.

brb testing.

5. If that was actual price data it would be easy to trade. Go long after the first blue candle. Reverse after the first pink candle. Repeat. Or just pick the side of the major trend.

But it's not actual price data. So you can't do that.