How do you guys store tick data?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by mizhael, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Syprik

Syprik

#32     Jun 11, 2010
  2. #33     Jun 11, 2010
  3. Syprik

Syprik

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/pdf/berkeley-db-perf.pdf

Matlab gets along with BerkeleyDB. My trading partner has an associate using BerkeleyDB for roughly 12000 tick/sec acquisition, listening to ~8500 instruments, and over 40 gb of collection at end of each session. It's certainly up to the task if kx no longer remains an option (assume you are getting this through work? kdb+/tick?).

#34     Jun 11, 2010
  4. januson

januson

Is that 12000tick/sec for all 8500 instruments?

#35     Jun 11, 2010
  5. januson

januson

Kinda funny to see that the majority of posters believe a db is faster than binary files. Well... how can they be faster than binary? Think about it!

In the mean time I would like to go into another performance issue, lets say that some db's are as fast as binary files. But how does one store them inside the code? As objects? Structs? Arrays? Lists?

#36     Jun 11, 2010
  6. I have to disagree with those who suggested CSV. I used CSV for years for OHLCV (bar) data but for tick data is was horrible.

I ended up using SQLite and I'm very happy with it. I have over 2 years of tick data in CSV files for EURUSD and some other forex pairs. They're around 4-5 gigs each. They imported into a SQLite data with no problem and the data is much easier to use now.

#37     Jun 11, 2010
  7. promagma

promagma

+1

No way that ANY relational database is faster (no matter column based or row based)

#38     Jun 11, 2010
  8. SQLite works well... for Excel users checkout dhRichClient from thecommon.net. Allows Excel users to easily integrate Sqlite databases in worksheets without the ms overhead and even utilize SQLite as an application file format. In-memory SQLite databases are blazing fast.

#39     Jun 11, 2010
  9. Well I would imagine if the DB have the smart indexing and caching, etc.

it will be faster than plain binary on an average aggregated basis.

#40     Jun 14, 2010