How do you guys not kill your eyes?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by AyeYo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. AyeYo

AyeYo

I hope this is the right section for my question, if not then the mods can feel free to move it.

I don't trade full-time, but I'd like to. I currently trade on my one day off, and from 8-12 in the morning before work every day. Honestly, my eyes are nearly smoking by noon. How do you guys do it? Do you eventually get used to it?

I recently upgraded my horrific 17" CRT to a 22" LCD, which managed to improve my experience from "raging headache" to "heavy eye strain." As it is, I just get up every half hour or so and walk outside. As luck and the par factor would have it, that's also when I miss all my entries.

What's the trick or is this just what I have to look forward to? I suppose it's no worse than a computer in a cubical all day.

2. dealmaker

dealmaker

Close your curtains. Day light and LCD screens are not a good combination.

3. What colors are you using on your charts?

4. Try darker background. I started with white, ouch. Now black or dark grey.

5. don't pursue trading if you want pristine eyes. i've worked 12+ hr days since i can remember... my eyes look like the eyes of someone 20 years my senior. the veins you'll get from overworking them, they don't go away.

6. I've been at the screen longer than just about anybody, and I don't have "eye issues".

Suggest...

1. Charts with black background, I use cyan for price bars.

2. Set LCD monitors to native resolution

3. Set icons, fonts, title bars, etc. large enough for comfortable viewing

7. I've been at the screen longer than just about anybody, and I don't have "eye issues".

Suggest...

1. Charts with black background... I use cyan color for price bars.

2. Set LCD monitors to native resolution, and brightness to "low"... have sufficient ambient light so that monitor light isn't too "intense"

3. Set icons, fonts, title bars, etc. large enough for comfortable viewing

Eye strain comes mostly from constantly trying to focus on poorly defined, "fuzzy" objects/text and too high of a brightness setting.

8. I generally agree with you on this, but I have become near sited from looking at these monitors for approx. 4years full time. I used to have 20-25 and now my vision is 20-30.

9. Oh, maybe I DO have "eye issues"... my vision is about 20-200.

(Actually, been that way since I was a teen):D

10. you are really are too cocnerned about every tick if you watch the screens that closely.. i look at my charts and watch what is going on but i do not constantly stare at the screens.. if you are a screen watcher then you are not trading properly .. in my opinion.. and thus you are doing more work than needs to be done to make money by trading.

#10     Aug 10, 2009