How do you get rid of yellow jackets?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ChkitOut, Jul 2, 2008.

1. MGJ

MGJ

The hardware store will sell you an aerosol can of wasp and hornet killer. It has a special nozzle that shoots a straight stream about 30 feet. You have your choice of products with different main ingredients, either petrochemical or "natural". The "natural" one is concentrated oil of spearmint (yes really!) and it works fantastically well. When I sprayed a yellow jacket nest under the eaves of my house, the little bastards fell straight to the ground, writhed around for 90 seconds, and expired. One microsecond after the spray touched them, they lost the ability to fly (and thus to travel the 26 feet of distance between their nest and my body). Not only do you get to stomp the crap out of nearly-dead yellowjackets, but your boots will smell minty fresh for days afterwards.

Read this: http://www.ghorganics.com/VictorWaspHornetSpray.html
    and this http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/WaspHornet/

#11     Jul 3, 2008
  2. TGregg

TGregg

I had a big ^#@ nest in one of our flowerbeds. Didn't know about the nagging wife solution, but a can of wasp & hornet killer wiped `em out.

#12     Jul 3, 2008
  3. Naw, no comments from me, Don you get a free pass. You're like the Pope of ET. Every once in a while you come to the window and say a few words to the vagrants on the lawn. Much obliged. :D

#13     Jul 3, 2008
  4. Forgot to add to my post above, we use Brake Cleaner from Advance Autoparts all the time as Carpenter Bee and Wasp killer around the outside of the house and when working on the cars... :p

The aforementioned brake cleaner is still a chlorinated solvent at my local store, and that knocks the bees down pronto and doesn't stain my cedar home.

#14     Jul 3, 2008
  5. Yellow Jackets. Tough to get rid of.

Trying laying out some powder blue oxford button downs with matching ties. They should move rather quickly.

#15     Jul 3, 2008
  6. I hear ya, I'd crap my pants if there was a nest of blue trousers.

#16     Jul 3, 2008
  7. Ah, reminds me of John XXIII with his Sunday Blessing.......

Dominisc Pobiscum, alla U wops, get offa da lawn........... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeen!

#17     Jul 3, 2008
  8. These look like, are related to (and in many instances, are, in the states) the european wasp, yeah?

I came across this years ago, black flag wasp and ant formula surface spray .
    Knocks them clean out of the air.
    Other surface sprays dont work so well .
    Local national parks are now using something similiar, long nozzle, can of spray (not sure what they use though) and empty the can into the nest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket

#18     Jul 3, 2008
  9. hcour

hcour Guest

When I was a kid, in the summer, wasps used to build these big nests in the corner of our porch. I don't know what kind they were, but they weren't the small yellow jackets, these were the huge, ugly, scary black ones with stingers the size of your freakin' finger. As a dare, my friends and I would all stand around a few feet from the nest while one of us took a broom and jammed it into the nest, then we'd all run aound the house pursued by the angry wasps and jump in my backyard pool to get away. Of course we always got stung something awful.

Yeah, pretty stupid. We were kids. I have an irrational phobia of those bastards to this day. They absolutely terrify me.

H

#19     Jul 4, 2008
  10. #20     Jul 4, 2008