How do you get over fear of taking a risk?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by jinxu, Jul 22, 2010.

1. jinxu

jinxu

I am unable to trade small as I am already using max leverage with one contract. Using tight stop doesn't help either as those kept getting hit and reversing. I started having better success when I stopped doing that and widen my stops. However my capital is so low that 2-3 bad trades will wipe me out. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/editpost.php?s=&action=editpost&postid=2906648#

#21     Jul 26, 2010
  2. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

With all due respect, IMO you really shouldn't be trading then. Being undercapitalized has to be one of the biggest reasons for failure because even if you have an edge, there is still a large % chance that you will go bankrupt.

I would suggest practicing your method(s) to ensure you really have an edge and save and don't trade until you have a reasonable bankroll for your risk/reward profile.

Joe.

#22     Jul 26, 2010
  3. Your screen name sounds Chinese. I believe in Asia and Europe you can trade smaller contracts with CFDs. Other than that, aren't ETFs a popular option nowadays? Instead of the ES futures, use SPY; instead of Mini-Gold, use GLD etc.

I have had some students who ran into the same problem like yours. Futures contracts are simply too huge for someone starting out in trading. You cannot possibly expect to trade well, if you risk your monthly pay with every single trade. So look into some alternative instruments that are out there. And yes, I agree with all the posts above who suggest you to trade smaller. Eventually you will make more money with smaller positions.

#23     Jul 26, 2010
  4. jinxu

jinxu

The name is chinese but i'm not chinese and I live in the usa. I like futures for the leverage. I don't think the SPY gives that???

#24     Jul 28, 2010
  5. jinxu

jinxu

6. I see you are doing very typical newbie mistakes but you might figure it out one day. Keep on practicing and hopefully you do find a good mentor. And no, SPY is not leveraged which is why I'm suggesting this instrument. If you think you can trade better with futures, then I won't stop you from doing so. It's your money (for who knows how long).

#26     Jul 28, 2010

7. Based on how you traded on 7/27/10 I would recommend that you liquidate everything and stop trading until you are sure that you have a method that works (atm you do not).

Maybe start with books written by Van Tharp...

read books on basic technical analysis and spend the next 2 years paper trading.

#27     Jul 28, 2010
  8. lol...

reading books won't give you an edge.

#28     Jul 28, 2010
  9. #29     Jul 28, 2010
  10. #30     Jul 29, 2010