How do you get over fear of taking a risk?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by jinxu, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Arjun1

Arjun1

You seem like a new trader.
    You fear loss and respect risk. This risk/loss sensitivity is the only thing that will protect your capital from the dangers of overtrading.
    With this risk sensitivity you will definitely survive and persist long enough to find low risk entries that you are comfortable with.
    Carry on, nothing is wrong.

#11     Jul 22, 2010
  2. i have the opposite problem. we all have our own demons to fight.

#12     Jul 22, 2010
  3. trade small enough the risk doesn't mean anything to you, then build up your size gradually as you build confidence in your method / edge

#13     Jul 22, 2010
  4. sorry to disappoint you, but risk taking is hereditary and to some degree, environmental ie how u were raised. some people are louder and some people are quieter. u could trick ur mind into not worrying about taking some risk by first making so much money somehow like the lottery that gambling $10,000 means nothing to you.

#14     Jul 23, 2010
  5. Maybe there's really no reason why God gave man the ability to feel fearful...

#16     Jul 23, 2010
  6. yes the above is the best advice, all others you can disregard

#17     Jul 23, 2010
  7. xburbx

xburbx

agreed. this makes a "risk" not seem like a risk. it also preserves your $. i risk .2% of my $ per trade. keeps me focused on the market. i have no clue how people can risk 10% or more on a single trade. 10 losers and your toast. i have had 8 losers in a row so that would have meant losing 80% of my account. no way. thats where you feel the burn of "risk". im not saying it cant be done because there are a million ways to trade, but just doesnt work for me.

#18     Jul 24, 2010
  8. you see all that crazy price action out there?

all people that care nothing for risk.

You are posting too soon after your last post. Try again in a few light years

#19     Jul 25, 2010
  9. u21c3f6

u21c3f6

Actually, 8 losers in a row would result in losing about 57% of your bankroll a la Kelly. Of course, to "invest" in set-ups that use 10% of one's bankroll, one must have the proper risk/reward to warrant such an amount again a la Kelly.

Joe.

#20     Jul 26, 2010