How do you feel?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cashmoney69, Nov 12, 2006.

1. No need to get angry and go political. I will say that I agree with you to a certain extent, and its another reason why I like trading for a living. Unlike many people, I don't feel I was put on the earth to sweat it out all day every day. Working in a mine for 40 yrs. to barely pay the bills while some bigwig makes all the dough just isn't my cup of tea. I trade so I can make enough money quickly to quit soon, retire, see the world, and hopefully make it a better place. Whether its a truly noble effort or not, I don't really care. Hey, it's not breaking any laws...

#21     Nov 14, 2006
  2. Seeking self actualization through ones employment is a recipe for disillusionment. Trading is a job, be it part time, or full time. In the end, all jobs leave us feeling unfulfilled. It's what you do with the rest of your life that really matters. Trading can facilitate that if you choose.

#22     Nov 14, 2006
  3. omcate

omcate

Playing office politics and/or kissing the ass of bosses create nothing for the society either. Unfortunately, tens of millions of people are doing it everyday. A lot of things in life are not pleasant. We just need to compromise, and try our best to deal with them.

By the way, similar topics have been discussed many times on this message board. You may be able to find more info by using the search button.

#23     Nov 14, 2006
  4. socalpt

socalpt

Just try to be the best you can, what really matters is how you meet your monthly expenses, I would have taken a job if they pay me better. Meanwhile works are up to your neck, cursing at the boss for pushing you to retirement early. It's your call but I think you made the right decision, in fact the whole blue collar world would have trades if they know how to. You have to consider yourself lucky; most of us got into this business because we have no other choices. Once in a while I got pat in the back from my old boss because I can make it on my own; I'm glad because can.

#24     Nov 14, 2006
  5. "In the end, all jobs leave us feeling unfulfilled"

nope

stop extrapolating from your narrow experience to the rest of the world.

firefighters are "unfulfilled"?
    cops?
    military?
    civil rights lawyers?

etc.

there are jobs, and there are "callings"

#25     Nov 14, 2006
  6. volente_00

volente_00

I disagree, evertyime you spend one dollar made from trading you are helping someone somewhere by stimulating the economy.

#26     Nov 14, 2006
  7. dac8555

dac8555

people respect others that are able to make something of themselves..they normally equate that to money. if you do well at anything, you will have peoples respect.

Used car salesman...as a general rule, are not well respected. But show me a used car salesman that clears $250k+, and i will show you a guy that people respect.

#27     Nov 14, 2006
  8. Vocation is a very interesting topic. I went to a friend's 27th birthday dinner last night with about 12 people which about half I have not met before. I quit my 'real job' as a banker and now trade full time. However, when I explain to people what I do, I sense that others think I produce nothing. I also sense that they are jealous that I can make money doing something that in their eyes is as easy as pushing a couple buttons on a computer.

However, I've experimented with telling some people that I am a small time investment manager and their perception is totally different. You can see it in their body language. Almost always, they are interested in what I can do to help them make money and what kind of stock tips I can give them. They are willing to just hand over some of their savings to see how much I can make for them.

The perception of a trader in most eyes of the public is that it is selfish and produces nothing for anyone else. The perception of a money manager is that he is knowledgable and offers service to the public. What bothers me is that investment advisors/mutual fund representatives are nothing more than salesmen but the public thinks they know how to trade.

To the original poster, being a successful trader is the REAL talent behind the investment industry. But thing is, the public will never accept that...and in my life, that's okay.

#28     Nov 14, 2006
  9. Exactly. 100% correct. If you live and die by your trading results (or ANY employment for that matter), you will be a small, small person.

But if you take the spoils of your profession and do good with it (however you define that), THEN trading is an outstanding career because of the potential to make outsized gains in relation to the time expended. Thus, you can make a difference in the world (if that was the purpose of this thread to begin with) with your profits.

#29     Nov 14, 2006
  10. Hence the use of the word "job". Saying trading is a calling would be a stretch IMO. A preference for some?...yes. Comes natural?...sure. Have a knack for it?....Yep! A calling?......please, lets not take ourselves too seriously.

#30     Nov 14, 2006