How do you determine when to follow the trend or counter it?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by K-Rock, Dec 31, 2005.

1. K-Rock

K-Rock

#11     Dec 31, 2005
  2. Knowing the trend will make you money, it just so happens that your approach sucks.

:D

#12     Dec 31, 2005
  3. K-Rock

K-Rock

FYI:

Conditions Preceding a Trend Day

Several key price patterns can serve as alerts to the potential for significant range expansion:

-NR7 -- the narrowest range of the last 7 days (Toby Crabel introduced this term in his classic book, Day Trading With Short-term Price Patterns and Opening-range Breakout);

-a cluster of 2 or 3 small daily ranges;

-the point of a wedge-type pattern (which usually exhibits contracting daily ranges);

-a Hook Day (wherein the open is above/below the previous day's high/low -- and then the price reverses direction; the range must also be narrower than the previous day's range; leads traders to believe that a trend reversal has occurred, whereas the market has instead only formed a small consolidation or intraday continuation pattern);

-low volatility readings, based on such statistical measures as standard deviations or historical volatility ratios or indexes;

-large opening gaps (caused by a large imbalance between buyers and sellers);

-runaway momentum (markets with no resistance above in an uptrend or no support below in a downtrend. This condition differs from the above setups in that volatility has already expanded. In a momentum market, however, the huge imbalance between buyers and sellers continues to expand the trading range!) ...

http://www.traderslog.com/capturing-trend-days.htm

#13     Dec 31, 2005
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

look at any 3 MAs , if they are near/ mixed together, no trend, if they cross each other with a nice slope then we are in trend, if CCI 50 below zero line then trend is down, short only, up if CCI 50 above zero line, long only.

#14     Dec 31, 2005
  5. interesting about the CCI.... i will have to check it out!

#15     Dec 31, 2005
  6. Given makeup of CCI ... just look for price to be closing below the 50 simple ma to achieve the same result.

#16     Jan 1, 2006
  7. Do a search. This has already been discussed a minimum of 20x here on ET...

#17     Jan 1, 2006
  8. K-Rock

K-Rock

Maybe I missed them when I did my initial search; however, I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction by recommending a couple.

#18     Jan 1, 2006
  9. K-Rock

K-Rock