How do you determine when to adjust chart settings?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by tjpone, May 15, 2018.

1. JSOP

JSOP

How do you determine when to adjust chart settings?

When you are no longer profitable.

#11     May 15, 2018
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You can backtest to determine which time frame is suitable for your trade method. Thus, you then take the voodoo out of the picture.

Yet, if you've found something (time frame) that works for you...no need to fiddle around with the backtesting.

Anyways, I've seen traders do what you mention in that they would use the daily chart for their setup but if they couldn't find a trade setup...they would then lower the time frame to like the hourly, 30min, 15min to see what's happening there and then if they see a trade setup on those lowered time frames...they would take the trade.

If that work for them (they had testing results & real money results) to show it works for them...seems like something to keep doing.

Reality, getting back to the chart configurations...they would not really be changing the setting from a daily time frame to a lower time frame. Most likely they would have a multiple monitor setup with the daily time frame up on the monitor along with the lower time frames up on the monitor too...all at the same time.

The only thing they would need to do then is just move there head (neck, eyes) to see the other charts without clicking in the charting program to view a different time frame.

For me, the less clicking I had to do in my charting program...the faster I was in my analysis and I was more relaxed prior to executing trades in the broker platform. I first learn about this connection from a behavior finance student.

wrbtrader

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    #12     May 15, 2018
  3. tomorton

tomorton

Yeah, I know, its probably just me. I'm certainly in the minority when it comes to adjusting time-frames.

#13     May 15, 2018
  4. tomorton

tomorton

Just seems like forcing the situation. I mean, you spend time and effort to devise a strategy with a TA set-up and all the proper risk management and everything. And when the objective set-up doesn't fit what you subjectively want to do, you just find a loop-hole in your own rules and get in anyway.

I know some people make it work, but I can't take the principle on board.

#14     May 15, 2018
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Price action isn't the same every day nor from one hour to the next hour. For example, one day you may have 3 valid setups and the next day you have 7 valid setups...markets always changing.

To me, seemed obvious I needed to adjust the chart configurations (not the settings) to specific types of market conditions while still using the exact same TA setup. A complicated way to explain this is that I trade differently each day while using the exact same TA setup...the difference is primarily due to the chart configurations.

Chart settings use to be part of the equation until I went to a multiple monitor setup.

Its like the weather. If its raining outside...I bring an unbrella and wear a rain jacket. If its cold outside...I wear a hat, gloves, pants and coat. If its hot outside, I wear shorts, sandles and short sleeve shirt...same person and same planet.

It took me a few years into my trading to realize not to dress the exact same way when the weather changes...markets always do change. :D

I think that reason alone is why some traders use more than one trade strategy as to say that one size does not fit all.

wrbtrader

#15     May 15, 2018