How do you determine existence?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Dec 18, 2007.

1. OK, but It is possible to construct a logical argument for the existence of God or at least the possibility of the existence of God.

You're obviously a reasonable dude. Not trying to start a fight with you.

#51     Dec 19, 2007
  2. How many aliases do you have, guy?

#52     Dec 19, 2007
  3. For example, imagine if the deistic or pantheistic views are correct in total or in part. In that case, the universe has been set in motion with varying degrees of interaction since. We need some ways to estimate or approximate validations of these viewpoints, correct?

#53     Dec 19, 2007
  4. Are you using guy in general or as a nickname?

And give them a little spit and polish while you're down there

(and I'm not talking about the shoes)

#54     Dec 19, 2007
  5. Maybe. But how does knowing this help us in our relating to the world ?

#55     Dec 19, 2007
  6. Knowing that the basis of reality is consciousness is the key to evolution

The goal of evolution is to develop self conscious awareness as opposed to the absolute's (god's) undifferentiated awareness of oneness

In short know thyself and you will know existence/god

#56     Dec 19, 2007
  7. I cannot imagine how you would go about validating such notions in a meaningful way. It is for this reason that I choose not to attempt it. Believing something may give a person comfort, but that doesn't make it real. For example, consider a pauper who decides to believe that he has $1 million in the bank and that he simply "chooses" to live a "frugal" life. The fanciful notion of financial security may provide him with some psychological comfort from time to time, but that doesn't make the money real. It won't be there when he actually needs it for more than a warm and fuzzy feeling. And as for the people who actually believe that God has helped them, well, that must make them particularly special when you consider the legions of humanity that He has not helped throughout the ages. And that brings us back to megalomania...

#57     Dec 19, 2007
  8. Think of it like this, there is nothing but god (ie: existence/mind)

This presents a problem of awareness though

If there is nothing else to compare yourself to as in god's case then you can never know yourself

That is the purpose of the universe and ourselves, we are those bits of the hologram that interact and can be compared to promote awareness

#58     Dec 19, 2007
  9. If the world were only filled with such rational people as Thundermutt, then no doubt it would be a perfect world, a fully rational world.

Oh, are you gonna tell everyone here your New Years Resolutions again this year, start another thread on the topic, and then not keep it...again?

That was sooooooooooooo rational.

:D :D :D

#59     Dec 19, 2007
  10. Would this be one of your spiritual ad hominems? The very ad hominems that you accuse others of perpetually perpetrating against you? You are the very source of enlightenment.

On the plus side, I have learned from my mistakes. Should I ever choose to make another resolution, I will keep it to myself. In this way, if I fail to follow through on such resolution for one reason or another, then I won't be subject to ridicule by assholes. Thank you for that.

#60     Dec 19, 2007