How do you determine existence?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShoeshineBoy, Dec 18, 2007.

1. loik

loik

2. Great link - thx!

I'd never seen this great Einstein quote: "“The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.” "

#12     Dec 18, 2007
  3. "Evolution has never dealt with origin of life."

Quite true.

Nor has evolution every dealt with why life has the properties it has, i.e. being temporal, limited in lifespan, having a birth, life, then death, having a "desire" to live, having an ability to adapt, the nature to procreate, etc.

Nor has evolution done much to answer the question as to why the universe contains both living and non living aspects...or how the very first "life" came to live, and not only to live, but born with all these above aspects.

#13     Dec 18, 2007
  4. How do you determine existence??

OMG so easy you morons.....does the IRS require you to pay taxes? well then , you exist...if you don't pay them your probably an illegal alien and don't exist in this country..:D :D

#14     Dec 18, 2007
  5. Seek guidance from an over-hyped pseudo-intellectual? Let's not, but say we did.
    :p

#15     Dec 18, 2007
  6. Depends on what you are referring to. If you are questioning your own existence, then you should probably refrain from operating heavy machinery.

#16     Dec 18, 2007
  7. :D

#17     Dec 18, 2007
  8. sumosam

sumosam

Faraday stated that "all that exists are mathematical point s
    of difference"

1 + 1 = 2 ....this is constant, unchangeable, true.

Ultimately, in the Hindu faith, Buddism, and Gnostic faith (i.e. the precursor to Christianity) all agreed that the world was an illusion. The question is: why the illusion? What is it we are covering over?

:confused:

#18     Dec 18, 2007
  9. Frankly, the easist way to tell is check the weather. If you go outside and your cold, hot, wet, whatever, you exist.

#19     Dec 18, 2007
  10. "Ultimately, in the Hindu faith, Buddism, and Gnostic faith (i.e. the precursor to Christianity) all agreed that the world was an illusion."

That is one interpretation, there are others found in the Hindu faith.

Another interpretation is that the world is 100% real and exists.

The illusion part is in thinking the material and temporal world brings lasting happiness or lasting contentment.

#20     Dec 18, 2007