How do you deal with anger?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by halfwaythere, Dec 17, 2012.

1. I don't know I don't have anger problems especially with respect to the market.

#21     Dec 24, 2012
  2. No that way you won't have to deal with her shit when the ES moves against you.

Can't allow people in your personal life managing your trades for you.

#22     Dec 24, 2012
  3. bjw

bjw

anger is a problem for me too. in every way as some described, throwing stuff, hitting the shit out of something, yelling, shouting, bang my head against the wall, whatever. i know it's pathetic, and fortunatelly there's nobody to witness it, because normally i'm really laid back. it's like an inner demon inside of you. however, perhaps it's also what makes you your competitive self that really can't stand losing and what's causing you to succeed in this. take away the negative emotions and you take out all the rest, which without i no doubt wouldn't have come this far.

for me this is complete BS. i know i turn a profit at the end of the month, but what's causing the anger is that 1 stupid trade short term. i know i'll make more than i lost there, but i could have made even more if i wouldn't have fucked up. it isn't dependent on the long term bottomline, it's completely short term.

#23     Dec 24, 2012
  4. ammo

ammo

i am assuming that these are happening with less and less frequency, they never completely go away, just part of the game,have to accept all ,not just the parts you like..when this happens , the answer to the why me question is...sometimes it's just your turn

#24     Dec 24, 2012
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

This is NOT healthy in trading nor in your personal life.

I highly recommend you get professional help especially if you're serious about trading. Yet, seriously, when you go outside there's sandbags and midgets ? That commentary (e.g. sandbags and midgets), the way you said it as a joke...your problem remains and just ticking away like a countdown on a bomb via the way you view your environment. :(

Most traders fail via reasons that have nothing to do with trading itself.

#25     Dec 26, 2012
  6. froluis

froluis

Eliminating refined sugar and high GI food may help. Blood sugar fluctuations make you nervous.

#26     Dec 26, 2012
  7. 1. figure out EXACTLY why you are angry.

i don't think exercise will help solve the problem, just transfer the energy and postpone more anger later. your mind can be unclear and clouded when exercising. my experience.

some traders get mad because they try to justify what they do, and the public, wife, etc....ridicule their profession. at home, working, will only give the mind more time to fester anger.

all i'm saying is figure out why you are mad. then focus how to put the anger on the table and deal with it totally. if a person, either don't talk to them or confront them (if wife). if losing money, then this is like a basketball player mad at missing a shot. can't help you with that one, it is part of the game. if mad you are not doing anything meaningful during your existence, well, do something about it.

being mad is a waste of energy. at worst case, put this anger in a wall inside of you and let it burn without others seeing it.

#27     Dec 26, 2012
  8. There's a good book out there called, "How to get Rich" by Felix Dennis, founder of Maxim magazine. In one of the chapters, he describes the top five mistakes people make when pursuing riches. The one that stands out to me is to mistake desperation for desire. You think you want to be rich? No, you are desperate to become rich. This combined with the inability to do so leads to frustration... then anger. In fact, it is desperation that leads you to take those dumb trades in the beginning. I had to do some soul searching and resolve my reason for being desperate to win in the stock market before I had a chance to actually win. Turns out I didn't desire to be rich at all. So I re-adjusted my goals and have a very reasonable plan to ensure my true desire which is to work 5 hours/week for myself.
    Desperation is the cause of taking stupid trades. It is the reason your brain shuts off and all you can see is the hope of gain and not all the red flags your system is giving you. Use the market to reach your desires and not your desperations and you should be less angry and frustrated.

#28     Dec 28, 2012
  9. ===============
    50% LEVEL-There
    Well much of that sounds good.
    Except pounding midgets,LOL Thats not wise; some small people cary .45 peacemakers

Amen on not slamming fist, on objects !!;
    i still have a [small] scar.LOL:D

#29     Dec 28, 2012
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

What if there is a perfectly legit reason to be angry? For example right now I am angry because a person pissed me off in real life.

So forgive me, but I will just hit my sandbag... :)

#30     Dec 28, 2012