How do you connect two PC's?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the_dude, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Great. Thanks for the help.

I have a linksys router already. I'll look up how to use it to share files between two machines.

#11     Jan 16, 2002
  2. FTP - requires sharing of files through a transfer protocol, hence whatever is being shared is being uploaded to the ISP, bypassed through the server (usually with no copy being kept, hence file size usually is not an issue to HDD server space availability) and downloaded to the other machine, hence

in the question of the thread starter, he would have to have two ISP connections or upload, save (which is left vulnerable unless marked as protected/pswd restricted), discon, reconn on 2nd machine and download.

Kids, don't attempt this over DUN / dial-up connections

---
    Belkin is not cheap, but it sure is fast...
    ---
    hey guys, remember "sneaker nets/networks"?

#12     Jan 16, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

Rigel,

Not only could you use a crossover cable to connect them, you _MUST_ if there is not a hub, or switch.

I think you are somewhat confused by what the "geek" told you. Most routers that you and I are talking about have _BUILT_IN_ hubs, and some have switches built in. Therefore as long as the computers are set up to be on the same network, and they are connected to router (really, the hub or switch) they _CAN_ see each other, i.e., they can be set up to "share."

If you only have a modem, which is often what you get today, then you can get a router (again, with a built in swithc or hub) that will allow you to share the Internet, and as a side effect, act as a "poor mans firewall."

Most of these routers being touted as "firewalls" aren't firewalls in the true sense of the Computer Science term - they simply implement NAT and DHCP, which along with the routing protocol, allow one to share an Internet connection. The "firewall" part comes in that the "router" gives out (private) IP addresses on the LAN through DHCP, and then using NAT, correcly routers packets to and from the private LAN to the public Internet.

If you want to see what a "real" computer firewall is, go to

http://www.sonicwall.com

nitro

#13     Jan 16, 2002
  4. nitro

nitro

limitdown,

when the two computers are connected to each other, either using a switch and a normal straight through cable, or connected to each other directly using a crossover cable, and one machine is acting as an FTP server,

_NO_FILES_ARE_BEING_UPLOADED_ANYWHERE_EXCEPT_TO_THE_FTP_SERVER_MACHINE_STANDING_THREE_FEET_FROM_THE_FTP_CLIENT.

The advantage of using FTP over "windows sharing," if one knows how to set it up, are many, one of which Rigel hit upon when he rightly is worried about security concerns.

nitro

#14     Jan 16, 2002