How do you close a losing trade?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Robert Weinstein, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Miki

Miki

I would be much more interested in answer to this question:

"How do you close a losing trade when the system is down (broker, exchange...)?”

#21     Jun 24, 2002
  2. Thats a problem for me as well. I turned a really nice day today into a money maker for IB with one trade. Called correct over 90% today and still didnt make enough to pay the electric bill ( its free in my office). I did go short when I was trying to close a short so I was two contracts the wrong way when the market was moving against me.

Happy to report that I am getting much better at using market orders and my results have improved. Still need to get even better then I believe my trading will go to another level altogether.

#22     Jun 24, 2002
  3. zcar

zcar

VERY FAST. The trade is not doing what it was supposed to. Hit the bid, cross the bid, sell at market. When you want out
    - you want out.

#23     Jun 24, 2002
  4. yes, i agree. i used to sometimes think about this too, but whenever i tried to limit my loss, i just ended up with A BIGGER LOSS. just get out and move on. some may disagree, but..you decide for yourself...

#24     Jun 24, 2002
  5. Rigel

Rigel

Always use a limit. There's no reason not to. You can always make it wide if the market is fast and it will protect you from those mysteriously wide occasional fluctuations in a slow market. Always use a limit order.:p

#25     Jun 24, 2002
  6. I always' close loosing trades with a margin call. If you trade in a tall building they give out roof passes with every margin call. Hope that help's

#26     Jun 24, 2002
  7. Helped me laugh a little bit today:D

#27     Jun 24, 2002