How do you close a losing trade?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Robert Weinstein, Jun 20, 2002.

1. If you have a hard profit target then you can have the luxury of posting the bid or offer with a limit order and let the trade come to you. However if you are taking a stop then you have to take the bid or ask, otherwise you're 'hoping' for a sudden short term change in the momentum and oftentimes will just end up chasing.

#11     Jun 21, 2002
  2. The problem with using "hard targets" for exits is that you become inactive, and do not respond to market changes when need by. This is similar to the "buy and hold" strategies that have cost so many investors so much money.

This is akin to putting in stop losses, which we rarely do when trading on consistent basis....market conditions change, and often times we don't want to be "stopped out" (like a "block print" down .50 cents in a stock and other 1 time events like this morning in the E's).

I agree that targets are fine for longer term trades at times....but I prefer that our people keep an eye on their positions and adjust according to market conditions. You'd be surprised at how much money is made/saved by closing a trade and getting back in a point or two lower....
    Don

#12     Jun 21, 2002

3. If you have a methodology that works using hard stops, then there is nothing wrong with using them. There are many different ways to trade. I have found that for 'my' trading hard stops are more profitable. I can't speak for anyone else however. My point was that "IF" you use hard stops then that would be a reason for posting a bid or offer rather than taking a bid or offer.

I also don't think that using a limit order for a profit target is akin to using a stop loss. With a limit order at a profit target I am hoping that someone will take me out of the trade (sometimes even praying), whereas with a stop loss I would be hoping to stay in the trade. I agree that it may not be a good idea to advertise a stop loss, but I will have my profit target exit in the system as soon as I enter the trade to get in line early at that price.

#13     Jun 21, 2002
  4. How do you close a losing trade?

Just do it. Do it now!

#14     Jun 21, 2002
  5. Rigel

Rigel

I close it with them little keys on my keyboardy thing.

#15     Jun 21, 2002
  6. Take it off fast and don't look back!

#16     Jun 21, 2002
  7. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

QUICKLY.

#17     Jun 22, 2002
  8. I use a mental stop. When a trade is going against me with momentum, I send a market order just before my mental stop and 98% of the time I'm executed @ or around my stop loss(mental). That's in a fast market. A slow one is a no brainer:confused:

#18     Jun 22, 2002
  9. I just hit the "T" on my keyboard softly. If I hit it hard, my
    keyboard makes this terrible sound that scares the heck
    out of me...

:D

#19     Jun 22, 2002
  10. DblArrow

DblArrow

It is also a problem I have. However if one cannot afford to pay the spread, then one is in the wrong game.

I play the bonds, one tick is 31.25, a little more expensive but it can move 5-6 rather quickly. After a couple ticks down I find myself getting "comfortable" with the loss. I "feel" it should come back, so I hope for a retrace to get out, and then lose another 2 ticks. Down 125 I finally hit the market and lose an extra tick. Stupidity. Lately been learning to take the 2 and get out.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

#20     Jun 22, 2002