How do you calm down and goto sleep?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kmiklas, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

Try number 2. Great post Pekelo

1. No food after 7pm for sure and if you have to, make it very light and easily digestible.
    2. Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday. Be super consistent and eventually over time you will definitely see the benefits to the circadian rithym. Huge.
    3. Consider 20 -30 min of meditation before you go to sleep. If meditating only once then the morning is much more beneficial.
    4. Take out all electronics out of your room. No tv, phone, iPad, only a night light.
    5. No caffeine after 11am.
    6. No alcohol. While alcohol is probably good for falling asleep it is terrible for your deep sleep and other stages in the sleep cycle.
    7. No tv or any screen for 30 min prior sleep. Hopefully you’ll be meditating during this time lol.
    8. Put A/C to 65 ...optimal temp for sleeping as body temp rises when we sleep.
    9. If room can be pitch dark it would be best.

The above has to be a practice, ritual done consistently over a long period of time. I gaurantee over time your body will know it’s rest time via your circadian rithym. This will help slow your mind down before sleep as your body will wind down itself sticking to the pattern above. Tweak it accordingly to your lifestyle.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    #31     Aug 9, 2019
    LS1Z28 likes this.
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

That was a test if you guys were paying attention... :)

I really like to listen to audio books even if just as a device for falling asleep. Better than sleeping by the TV, at least less sensory stimulation. You can set the book reader to turn itself off after X minutes.

#32     Aug 9, 2019
  3. Watch an Advanced Algorithms class on YouTube. For example:

Sometimes, I'm out in seconds. The sound of chalk on blackboard is a sleep inducer, so thanks Jalani Nelson!

Regards,

PTR

#33     Aug 10, 2019
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

I've always been a contrarian - and I am not just talking about the markets.

What I do to fall asleep every night is .... think about what went on during the day. What's that you say? That's your problem.

No your problem is you are trying not to think about what happened during the day and fighting a losing battle. Think about that.

Trying not to think about it - is what is keeping you awake. Don't fight it.

Although in my case most nights I am totally exhausted I don't have the energy to stay awake. My other "secret" to going to sleep easily.

Oh and absolutely no TV, laptop or glowing digital clockface or nightlight. Cool, dark and quiet except for a fan humming most nights down here.

#34     Aug 10, 2019
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

#35     Aug 12, 2019
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

FWIW, @volente_00 just reported in another thread that he's having good success with CBD oil for shutting his brain up and sleeping.

#36     Aug 17, 2019
  7. johny5

johny5

Are you facing a lack of sleep in recent times or you have it from long ago? If it is from the long run better consult a doctor and get proper guidance.

#37     Aug 22, 2019
  8. volente_00

volente_00

After talking to others it has been hit or miss. Some say it makes them sleepy, some say no effect. Personally anything 15mg and above seems to make me sleepy regardless when taken. Another effect I have seen is I actually remember my dreams again when taking it.

#38     Aug 23, 2019
  9. midtown

midtown

If you're registered for cannabis, try Feel Relaxed, an indica tincture. Also gabapentin works, its an off label use and you need a prescription. Meditation also works, especially if you get an Andrew Johnson deep sleep meditation, which you can get on Insight Timer. Its more like hypnotherapy. All these are good. The biggest challenge to me is getting back to sleep after I wake up. Thats when my brain wants to start trading.

#39     Aug 25, 2019
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

If I wake up in the middle of the night ever, I go to meditate. I don’t look at time, ipad, phone and try not to even turn on light. I try mediation for 20-30 and then hit the sack l8me a rock. Nothing will solve issues with one try it takes practice and consistency for the body to notice.

#40     Aug 25, 2019