How do you calm down and goto sleep?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kmiklas, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Maybe I'll have what he's having.

#21     Aug 7, 2019
    speedo likes this.
  2. speedo

speedo

:D:p

#22     Aug 7, 2019
  3. Do they?

#23     Aug 8, 2019
  4. Okay, we see the cost of your effort. What does the reward side of the equation look like? Are you doing better now than you were when you were getting your 6 to 9 hours? It may not answer your question on how to get more sleep but it's useful to know if your effort has been worth the trouble.

#24     Aug 8, 2019
  5. And while we're at it, how did a thread about getting a good night's sleep transition into a discussion about liquor? Wouldn't a glass of milk be a better choice?

#25     Aug 8, 2019
    kmiklas likes this.
  6. kmiklas

kmiklas

I don't want to mention any names, but *cough*BARON*cough* SWIM may have hinted at it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    #26     Aug 8, 2019
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Since we are reaching almost 30 posts and still no real answers, I will give it a try:

I split the advice into 2 groups, trading and health.

Trading:

1. Trade less capital if it makes you anxious overnight. Once you can sleep, you reached the right limit.
    2. Don't carry positions overnight if it messes with your sleep.
    3. Try to trade less instruments, be an expert of 2-3, instead of everything.
    4. You can switch to options, where the time frame is much longer, thus smaller daily moves has less effect on your returns. Also predetermined loss >>> less anxiety
    5. Realize that there is more to life than just trading, enjoy your life and don't spend more than 8-9 hours watching the screen.
    6. Over the weekend no trading related stuff! You should get at least 2 full days away from the markets. Just because you can trade other markets that doesn't mean you have to. Same with overnight trading.
    7. You have to realize that certain things are out of our control (like the Orange idiot tweeting) that is why we have stop losses and position sizing. Just learn to live with it.
    etc.etc.

Health:

1. Don't eat after 7 pm.
    2. Do a light exercise like walking the dog after dinner.
    3. No caffeine or sugary drinks after 6 pm.
    4. You can take supplements like magnesium or Valeriana to help you to sleep.
    5. No watching the laptop screen in the dark late night.
    6. Generally you should exercise close to an hour per day, that will help with stress.
    7. You can drink a little milk or wine before bed.
    8. Have sex after dinner, good cardio and stress reliever.
    9. Certain things makes me sleepy like hot bath, listening to a boring audio book, knitting, CNBC. Try some of them.
    10. In the evening use Night Light mode as your screen option, yellow lightning is better than blue for your eyes.
    etc.etc.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    #27     Aug 8, 2019
    kmiklas likes this.
  8. traderob

traderob

good post pekolo..

but

"knitting" !!!

good grief.

#28     Aug 9, 2019
  9. Maybe Pekelo needs a new sweater. Hey, it's not all about kmiklas.

#29     Aug 9, 2019
  10. LewisJas

LewisJas

all i do is put on slow music, that's the only thing which helps me sleep better and fast.

#30     Aug 9, 2019