How do you calm down and goto sleep?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by kmiklas, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Oh, forgot about Bulleit. Try that one. You might like that one straight up. Very sharp and assertive. I believe the mash bill is 95% rye. Most ryes are about 40% corn these days.

#11     Aug 7, 2019
  2. speedo

speedo

Bulleit is very good, they also make a nice bourbon.

#12     Aug 7, 2019
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I drink Bulleit bourbon every day but I'm not a fan of their rye. My next go-to is Eagle Rare. My wife bought me a bourbon called Longbranch the other day and I like that one too.

I will pick up the Knob Creek and Whistlepig rye on my next trip.

But getting back to the thread topic, a few drinks at night for me personally is what it takes to shut my brain up and get me feeling relaxed and ready for bed.

#13     Aug 7, 2019
  4. kmiklas

kmiklas

Not impressed. Pretty much anyone from the unwashed masses can cook a prime steak. What can you do with a shank or other tough cut?

But how???? That’s the question!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    #14     Aug 7, 2019
  5. kmiklas

kmiklas

My problem with arguments like this is that they preclude us from doing market analysis. Based on the above, what’s the point?

#15     Aug 7, 2019
  6. kmiklas

kmiklas

6-9 hours. Yes more since work has cranked up and I’ve been coming up with lots of new ideas. Not enough hours in the day! My problem is “letting go” of the day. I sit around and think from 10pm-1am pondering any variety of things.

#16     Aug 7, 2019
  7. kmiklas

kmiklas

Re: Bourbon/rye/whiskey: I’m in the Jack Daniel’s camp. You fancy pants aged-in-mummified-Egyptian-remains drinkers need to grow some hair on your chest, come down from your ivory towers, and drink like men.

#17     Aug 7, 2019
  8. speedo

speedo

Forget that Tennessee cliche. Have some Jim Beam if you want a good non-pretentious Kentucky whiskey.

#18     Aug 7, 2019
    kmiklas likes this.
  9. kmiklas

kmiklas

#19     Aug 7, 2019
  10. Pressure cooker to the rescue. 15lbs for 45 minutes, on the rack with only a couple cups of water. Save the water/drippings. Chill the meat, remove from bone if present, slice it thin at an oblique angle to the grain. peel and slice a big onion longways. Chop one bunch of celery. Quarter two jalapenos lengthwise, remove core and seeds, chop finely. In the biggest skillet you got that has a lid, (Amazon is your friend, I have two 15 inchers) soften the veggies in olive oil on high heat, let the edges of the onions brown slightly. Add the meat, brown slightly. Add a tablespoon of Worcestershire and a teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet, then a cup of tawny port. Keep the heat high, reduce slightly.

Put two heaping tablespoons flour in a large measuring cup or small mixing bowl, gradually add the water from the pressure cooker, mixing well and always dissolving all lumps as you go. Pour into skillet with the meat, stir. Add some broccoli and cauliflower florets if you just got to, and some diced carrots. Now sprinkle in some Slap Ya Mama. Or Tony's if you can't find Slap Ya Mama. You don't want to add too much salty seasonings early in the cooking. Reduce heat and simmer covered. Stir to prevent sticking/burning while you make the rice.

Best way to make rice is in a small pot placed inside the pressure cooker. Put the cooker on the stove with the rack in it and a couple cups of water, high heat. Put two cups of Thai Jasmine rice in the inner pot, and three cups or a bit less of water, and a quarter stick of butter. Pinch of Lawry's season all. Cover the inner pot. Place it in the cooker and put the lid and weight on it. When the weight starts rocking, reduce heat so it just does rock, and time it 4 minutes exactly. Turn the fire off. If you have electric, remove the pressure cooker from the burner and place on a trivet. Let it cool and depressurize naturally. As soon as the lock drops, remove the weight to be sure the pressure is off, open the lid and remove the inner pot, and fluff the rice. It will be perfect. Best white rice you ever had.

Now turn the fire off under the meat. Serve it on a plate of the rice, with extra gravy spooned over the works. That is just one way to take a tough cut and make it rock. Some fresh sourdough bread to push everything around on your plate and soak up the excess gravy is a great touch, and maybe an ice cold longneck or two.

In South Louisiana, we can cook anything that's got a face on it, and make it taste great.

A good meal in your guts and a couple of Old Fashions and you won't be worrying about too much. Read a boring book for a few minutes, count sheep, unless sheep excite you. Then MAKE yourself get up nice and early in the morning and it will be even easier to fall asleep tomorrow.

#20     Aug 7, 2019
    kmiklas likes this.