How do you backup your system?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by 64c2, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Bestcrypt.

No, I am not encrypting the swap, not too worried about that.

The swap is on the second HD which goes out of the laptop and in the safe. (have an IBM A31 which has two bays, one has a second HD and the other the DVD/CD)

Sherlock

PS I have a couple of second bay HD's, one is for running and the other two are for backups / "normal" restore (no virus etc or when CD restore show machine is clean)

:cool:

#51     Aug 26, 2005
  2. Holmes

Holmes

I like the whisperquiet fluid HD's - I hate noisy HD and fan's. IBM was one of the better ones (could not stand my neighbour's Dell and Gateway's)

But be aware USB HD is much, much slower than HD in an bay (laptop or desktop) (I gave mine to my son that is how I got annoyed by how slow it was...)

#53     Aug 26, 2005
  3. ntfs

ntfs

Holmes,
    I was thinking of doing the hd in a bay. When you want to clone the bay drive to the internal drive, do you have to go inside and change the settings on the internal drive from master to slave? I would like to do this without opening up the case.

tia,

nt

#54     Aug 26, 2005
  4. " vistas" or longhorn will use WinFS

tomshardware has something about it

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20030617/

#55     Aug 26, 2005
  5. Bsulli

Bsulli

6. Catoosa

Catoosa

Why not put all of your HDs in removable bays? That is what I did years ago. You can then swap, copy, and store HDs on the shelf as needed.

#57     Aug 26, 2005

7. Holmes,

So what would you recommend for a good USB/FIREWIRE HDD?

Thanks.

#58     Aug 26, 2005
  8. I followed the same path to TrueImage even if I only manage Win2k/XP platforms. It's only 2 months of experience with the Acronis software but I'm extremely satisfied.

#59     Aug 26, 2005
  9. That's not bad.
    I better like the external ones these days. You can attach these to anything you want.

#60     Aug 26, 2005