How Do Yall Maintain your Discipline??

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Flashboy, May 21, 2003.

1. amg

amg Guest

what did come first, the chicken or the egg?

I'd say, Neither! What came first was the idea of a chicken. And from that sprung the idea of an egg, which is really a fractal of the chicken.

Having said that, the first incarnation was indeed a chicken, whose concept is to carry within it the pattern for a whole fleet of chickens out to infinity and beyond, with an inherent ability to recreate itself in the world without aid of big bangs, bible thumpers, or other creation theorists.

To stay on topic here, with proper discipline on the part of the chicken rancher, the chicken can become a juicy range-bred, corn-fed, rotisserie roasted dinner, or progenitor of dozens of Omega-3 eggs.

Without discipline, the chicken may perhaps get diseased, run over, or merely die peacefully, but never having been transformed beyond mere chickenhood!

Ana Maria
    (aren't you glad you asked) :p :cool: :confused:

#41     May 24, 2003
  2. OMG! More Fractals. Are you 2 related? (I still don't understand that word...)

On a different note, what about re-incarnation as in Chicken comes back as a fox.

Kinda like - trader blows up his/her account, learns a lesson, and comes back again with new funding and starts doing well.

(sometimes peeps have to learn the hard way).

Natalie:eek:

#42     May 24, 2003
  3. trader99

trader99

Natalie,

Pretty funny one with the Chicken coming back as a fox! But probably true.

Kinda like Neo in the Matrix. He has to "die" then come back to realize he's the ONE! Hopefully, us traders don't have to die and reincarnate to become great traders! LOL! But in some sense, that's what happens when people blow out their accounts a few times. Look at Michael Marcus. Took him about 3-4 blow ups before he got good. There's something about blowing out that psychologically has the capacity to CHANGE people. If people can't change from blowouts and just repeat the same mistakes over and over then they shouldn't be trading at all!

About fractals, it's really nothing. A lot of hype(though at one point i was really into it.) Basically, it says that certain patterns are self-similar at many scale resolution. If you zoom in it's still the same and the same again and agin. The other nice thing about fractals is that they have non-Euclidean dimensions(like 2.54 or 3.456) instead of the normal dimensions you learned in geomery like 1 dimension is a line, 2 dimension is a square, 3 dim. is a sphere. Non-Euclidean dimensions are a better description of real objects since real life objects are not perfect lines or spheres. But in some sense, market patterns are fractals in a sense that they repeat themselves at various time scale. Other than that, I don't know how one can benefit form it. I'm sure some people here used it to trade for profit/loss.

since you propose a question, let me propose a question. Do you ever wonder why when you shake a coffee can the big beans come to the top and the little ones go down the bottom? hehe.

trader99

#43     May 25, 2003
  4. Well, I knew that it happened but never really thought much about it. I'm always too busy preparing it to worry about things liek that...

:)

#44     May 25, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

Girlpower,

Boy I sure agree with what that someone said!

IMHO, I think part of mastering trading is listening to all the voices that make up who you are, and learning to keep the ones that are not constructive "quiet. " Mind you, not through "trying" - that would only make the voice louder. That is where the other thread is useful, the one about "meditation as a way..."

The posts above about the pad and the simulator were one voice - clear and direct - simple - elegant - confident - eye of the tiger. The voice here in this post is a different voice - one of doubt...

Almost all of us have the voice of the winner inside of us. We just have to "learn" to make it the dominant one when we require it.

nitro

PS - Edit All the words I quote above are because the English language so poorly expresses what I am really saying - trying, learning, etc, may work for some - for others it will just confuse them! Learning about learning is just as unique as the individual as it is important . Oy, I am getting a headache!

#45     May 26, 2003
  6. Hi Nitro,

Something to ponder indeed!

Thank you

Natalie :)

#46     May 26, 2003
  7. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Flash-trader;

Put it in writing is an excellant, repeating trading pattern.
    Put it in writing is an excellant repeating pattern in business.
    :cool:
    Put it in writing is an excellant repeating pattern in trading company contracts & plans ;mine also, in a a note-book & candlechart book.

These trading comments apply mostly to SPY,S&P futures,DIA,SPY,QQQ,$XOI and the better volume stocks contained there last 20 days and more.

Great down move 5/19/03; sold most my longs 2 minutes before close. Most of the[ tradable moves] and trends, in all time frames last 20 or 21 days have been UP on almost all time frames.

Made money countertrend some ;thats not in my written plan most of the time.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

''Have not I written ? '' Solomon the trader question
    To easy for me to misunderstand an oral contract; I dont use them.

:cool:

#47     May 26, 2003
  8. Amen! :D

#48     May 26, 2003