How Do We Nail the Bottom?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by netedge, Oct 19, 2008.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Thats a good analysis. Albeit incomplete.

How do you explain the Nikkie slow motion crash from 1990 to present day.

Where was the near double bottom there?

And how is this market similar and different?

#21     Oct 20, 2008
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Yea, 1932 was 2.5 YEARS after the crash.

We started this crash 5 months ago.

We've still got a good year of Bearish conditions to wreak havoc on markets.

Btw, ask Gnome what fair value is for the S&P assuming recessionary eps.

Thats a far better predictor for true value than statistical inferencing.

DOW @ 14,000 when fair value for underlying was 5,000.

hmm. Whats wrong with that picture?

#22     Oct 20, 2008
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Why is the S&P so over-valued??

"It's Not! We've Priced In future Expectations of accelerated growth in this new Global (BUBBLE) Economy!!!"

Where have we heard that before?

Remember when all the ET perma-bulls we're clamoring that housing was never gonna drop?!

That we had reached critical mass and there simply wasn't enough land in the country and people were so wealthy and blah blah blah.

Well, this is another one of those.

Hot Air.

#23     Oct 20, 2008
  4. HKIB

HKIB

My calculation of the market key per Livermore says that the downtrend is over
    for Dow, SP500, N225.

#24     Oct 20, 2008
  5. HKIB, are you really sure about that? is it really over? I have some suspicion that it is only the beginning.

#25     Oct 20, 2008
  6. netedge

netedge

Good question, I have attached the weekly performance info for the S&P dating all the way back to 1960. The analysis of this data should yeild some very interesting information regarding potential rebounds.

I will attach the monthly performance on a separate post.

#26     Oct 20, 2008
  7. netedge

netedge

You will find the monthly performance data going back to 1960 on the SPX in this file. This one in particular should yeild some useful information on what we can expect from here.

However, past performance is no guarantee of future returns :D

#27     Oct 20, 2008
  8. netedge

netedge

This is also one of my favorite methods of determining market direction for the short term. When bad news does not cause downturns in the market and when good news is never good enough to cause the correction to end. I believe this is one of the signs we can look at to get a cue.

#28     Oct 20, 2008
  9. HKIB

HKIB

To SCNinvestor,

I am monitoring the major market indices plus the 10 sectors of SP500. They were all in the down trend on Oct. 10. But on Oct. 16, the downtrend was over for Dow, Sp500 and XLV (health care). Today the downtrend is over for N225 and the same might be true for Nasdaq 100.

Note that the signal is never a sure thing, it is about 70% accurate in Livermore's time. However, we should not ignore it when the downtrend is over for ALL major market indices.

No matter what you do, being able to manage the risk is the key.

#29     Oct 20, 2008
  10. rros

rros

Thank you for the great video, Brandon. Mark Boucher's line of thought. You can't go wrong waiting for leadership to develop!

#30     Oct 20, 2008