How do u start our trading day?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by skydds, May 9, 2007.

1. infooo! Welcome back after your short hiatus posting from Elite Trader! We thought you were a goner!

Back on topic now. My trading day:

Wake up. Find an uptrend, buy a dip. Place tight stop.

#21     May 9, 2007
  2. infooo

infooo

Jzlucas welcomes me back :D

so I might as well pitch in what I do in the mornin

I wake up 10 minutes before opening (I am not joking)

I don't waste time with washroom and long or short business in there at this point.

I take a look at my FX positions and I set up my orders for NQ.

I set up price alerts and go to washroom.

after that I go back to bed, and only price alerts get me out, well not really, my 4 k laptop is right next to my bed.

I swear, many times I wish price alerts wouldn't wake me up.

Sometimes I am dead tired because of long night of reading things I dare not mention here.

#22     May 9, 2007
  3. MattF

MattF

in the same boat...Roll out of bed around 10 minutes before open.

Open up charts and account (trade futures) programs.

Check news for anything interesting (NOT CNBC) or for any releases on the day.

Check on here for anything interesting.

Open hits and I'm off and running waiting for signals to generate based on my setups. Some monings I get a few, a lot of times right off the bat. Others I'd rather watch paint dry...or just kill time reading on here instead :D Or just minimize and do other things until a signal gets hit again.

Get lunch around noonish unless something good's happening.

Sometimes do the afternoons depending on the day's schedule.

Go over charts later in the evening and my logs to see how I did...Study any losses to make sure I didn't screw up on something. Rev up for the next day.

Though ultimately I like infooo's idea...just in the set stuff and go back to bed :D :D That'll come down the road.

#23     May 9, 2007
  4. OH!, Welcome back infooo my dear pal. Nice to see that you got over your lil temper tantrum from your previous thread. Hey next time you throw your little fits, can you tell us, that way we can put it on our calendar?. Thanks

cm

#24     May 9, 2007
  5. infooo

infooo

will do :)

see how everything works out when we cooperate :p

#25     May 9, 2007
  6. Actually, there's a lot of truth to what he's saying, and if you're a position trader this is a pretty good description of what your day is going to look like, with the exception that I always spend my free time, before and after market hours studying ... studying markets, charts, strategies, etc. I could not agree with him more (except that I use a great little Dominican coffeee shop, twice as good as Starbucks at 1/5th the price).

Now, if you are an intra-day trader, partcularly of the e-minis, there are two schools of thought:

1) Focus intensly on all of the moves and try to capture every twist and turn of the markes (many scalpers use this technique to take consistent profits from the market) or;

2) Develop a methodical approach which is not dissimilar to that used by many of the aforementioned position traders to consistently take positions in the market based on their strategy (my personal favorite).

JJ

#26     May 10, 2007
  7. =============
    Skydds;
    Looking at sheets , much data on open,hi ,,lo,close price.

And some moving averages:cool:

#27     May 10, 2007
  8. I agree. I love my homebrewed "8 oclock". But if the kid likes to feel like BSD by spending 5 bucks a day on breakfast then so be it. Life is short.

#28     May 10, 2007

9. With all that free time, he could work a part-time/full-time job or go to school.

Position trading can be done in the early morning and evening hours.

For a guy who hasn't tasted much success, if any, and is still struggling, he sure doesn't sound like he's motivated.

If I had his equity curve, which he posted on some other thread, I would be pissed as hell and work on improving my system instead of dreaming about those "finer things in life" which he may never get to have with his current work habit.

But then again, he's still a kid. :D

#29     May 10, 2007
  10. Surdo

Surdo

I grind my own beans every morning, and my coffee is just a little stronger than Starbucks' "Brown Water Macchiato".

el surdo

#30     May 10, 2007