How do top traders bounce back after major setbacks?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by turkeyneck, Mar 14, 2008.

1. sun170

sun170

Some more excellent advice.

#11     Mar 14, 2008
  2. Everyone has losses. Top traders or no traders they all lose sometimes. Its the loss management that counts. If you can keep your losses-less than your winnings you will be here till you are 92 years old rocking on a armchair somewhere in Italy and an assistant will be placing trades for you. You will be very rich..

#12     Mar 14, 2008
  3. ammo

ammo

your right, i picture the guy on the highwire with a balancing stick, thats trading,the guy without the safety net is the one who dies when he falls, the guy with the net just gets the shakes for a few minutes and climbs back up, after big losses or blowouts you learn to use stops

#13     Mar 15, 2008
  4. amen to stops! sure beats your finger on the mouse getting ready to get out of an order....

#14     Mar 29, 2008

5. One trade at a time. Scale back, be disciplined and patient, wait for your set ups. I like to start off with a winner, then as I demonstrate my ability to make money again, and my confidence returns, I start scaling up my size.

#15     Mar 29, 2008
  6. Joab

Joab

As many others have said so far:

Scale back, regroup, re-evaluate your methods and just start all over with what was working and keep a positive attitude.

#16     Mar 29, 2008
  7. Joab

Joab

#17     Mar 29, 2008
  8. It's very simple, the reason they are called Top Trader is because they come back, otherwise they are not top trader.:confused: :D :) :p :mad: :eek:

#18     Mar 29, 2008
  9. moondog

moondog

take it nice and slow

#19     Mar 29, 2008
  10. This is exactly correct.

In 15 years...
    My two biggest drawdowns have been 10% and 7%.

Very painful.

But after every setback...
    I have obsessively studied the direct problem that led to my drawdown...
    And have built systems to avoid repreating my mistakes.

You have to stare you losses dead in the eye...
    Never, ever make excuses or blame "bad luck".

Excuses are for losers.

#20     Mar 30, 2008