How do the Cayman Islands assist in avoiding taxes?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Feb 13, 2009.

1. CET

CET

Since there has been a complaint about the link in the above post, the poster should edit his post and remove the link. It would be appreciated by all. :D

#21     Feb 14, 2009
  2. Retirement accounts have been confiscated in other countries (Argentina?). There's also the possibility that the future terms of the account will become onerous in some unforeseen way as Washington D.C. looks for money.

Does anybody else see this as a danger?

#22     Feb 14, 2009
  3. chartman

chartman

Saipan is better for taxes since you pay only half of the federal income taxes. They have no local income tax or sales tax. Plus you get the bonus of an island paradise!

#23     Feb 14, 2009
  4. I tested it myself and did not find any threat whatsoever. I can just assume that the guy was lying.

#24     Feb 15, 2009
  5. Agreed - nothing wrong with that link here either. Maybe the guy accusing has spyware already on his machine??? :D

#25     Feb 15, 2009
  6. I think that what you guys are missing is that this Cayman scheme is like a traditional IRA - you are going to go through a whole lot of effort to create an offshore SPV but then the second you start withdrawing money, paying yourself, purchasing domestic goods, etc. you have to pay US income or cap gains taxes on that.

For some it may be a tax break - but if you are at the income level where you would seriously be considering a Cayman SPV I highly doubt you'd be asking how to do it on ET.

There are other reasons to open up an offshore SPV as well, one of the mutual funds my firm manages uses an offshore Cayman SPV so that we can invest directly in commodities and avoid paying penalties & taxes for outright owning commodities in a 40-Act Fund. There are many benefits but done legally they take an awful amount of effort for not that much gain.

I have also worked with many hedge funds and there are some real tax benefits to this, but again, you need to be at a very high income level to even consider this.

#26     Feb 15, 2009

7. great post. 1 comment. i think that even if you give up your citizenship you still have to pay us income taxes for the next 10 years if your income was or is above a certin amount. it was changed in the past few years.

#27     Feb 15, 2009