how do scalpers survive bad ticks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by konviction, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Ive been watching spy on 233 tick charts, and even for something with this much volume, ive seen a few bad ticks for 12 to 20+ cents. As scalpers, do you place stops hoping this bad ticks dont get you out ?

2. They don't

99.99% of scalpers blowup rather quickly.

3. Any trading platform worth its salt has ways to filter against bad/out of market prints, so that they do not cause stop-outs. It has never even been an issue for me.

4. any good system does not forces out on a single bad print.

anyways most good scalpers i know do not rely on stop-loss orders as for slippage... prefer hitting out themselves.

**getting out lightning fast if its not moving in your favor is the first premise of scalping.

5. My mommy told me just yesterdday not to rdie my bikecycle through the short cut in the woods coming from from skool. when i ask her "how come mommy?" She told me "Little Joey, there are deeer TICKS in those woods and if you get one you can get real sick with lime disasase.

I guess then ticks are no good anywhere :(

6. NoDoji

NoDoji

I think what you're seeing on those spikes are latent prints, which should have no effect on stop or limit orders. They never affected any of my trades, though I encounter them all the time.

7. you can filter out bad ticks by only accepting tick within the inside quote. any outside ticks could be considered outside executions.

8. i was under the impression that those weren't actual prints and just software glitches.

Yahoo Finance shows stuff like that a lot for SPY. Sometimes it ruins the perspective of the charts. Like there will be one print that is 5 dollars higher than where price actually traded. I don't think anyone actually got a fill there.

9. if u are a true scalper, ur stops are mental stops never hard stops. hard stops take too much time

#10     Dec 18, 2009