How do I protect myself from getting sued?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Port1385, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I think the fact he apparently was unaware of an umbrella, and certainly doesn't have one suggests he has next to no assets to protect.

#11     Mar 20, 2009
  2. That is no longer sufficient.

regards
    f9

#12     Mar 20, 2009
  3. How do I keep the trading account assets in a place where US courts cannot touch? Are there brokerages in the Carribean?

#13     Mar 20, 2009

4. Your question should be .....
    If there are brokerages in el caribe, would I want to use them.

Remember if US courts cannot reach them it also cannot protect you.
    You are going to need to think outside the square before connecting the dots.

regards
    f9

#14     Mar 20, 2009
  5. Lichtenstein or gold coins, tell em your wife spent the money.
    :D

#15     Mar 20, 2009
  6. monti1a

monti1a

An internet forum is not the appropriate place to have your question answered Port. You need to speak to a good Asset Protection lawyer.

But don't wait until you get sued....you ever heard of fraudulent conveyance?

#16     Mar 20, 2009
  7. So I should make six digit stock or option purchases based upon an internet forum, but not use it to obtain ideas on legal advice?

#17     Mar 20, 2009
  8. An umbrella insurance policy is a good place to start, but won't cover everything.

Wrapping stuff in an LLC or corporation will not protect you, if you're the only one in it.

The basics are:

1) Have insurance
    2) Be careful
    3) Get a good team of professionals, and attempt to understand what each team member does.

In my experience, noone watches over my money better than I do. I educate myself as much as possible. I leave as little as I can to the "pros". When I do need help, I ask for it, and ask a lot of questions.

It's time-consuming, but it's the only way I've found that works for me.

#18     Mar 20, 2009
  9. LLC w/ 1 other partner who owns 1%

#19     Mar 20, 2009
  10. gkishot

gkishot

Can it be your spouse?

#20     Mar 20, 2009