How do I my old hard drive to New Dell Workstation ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trader12, Mar 23, 2012.

1. trader12

trader12

I had Dell XPS 8300 Desktop & had bought & Installed Windows-7 ( Ultimate ) on it's 500 GB HDD.

I gave that system to my relative except Hard Drive.

I have bought Dell T-7500 Workstation with only DOS installed on it's hard drive to save some money & because I already have Windows-7 ( Ultimate ) DVD.

I took out the hard drive with DOS from the workstation & replaced it with the hard drive that I had in XPS with Win-7 already installed.

I then tried to boot it in the workstation but it wouldn't boot & gave error messages.

So I formatted the OS Partition & fresh installed Windows-7. Now it does load Windows -7 but first it goes thru some other commands as follows when I start the system.

Dell SAS 6 Host Bus Adapter BIOS

MPTBIOS 6.22.03.00 ( 2008.08.06 )

Initializing…..

Press Ctrl – C to run SAS Configuration Utility

Searching for Devices at HBA 0…..

Dell MPT Boot ROM Successfully installed

etc.

Then it loads Win-7.

All of above happens on its own, I don't touch anything.

So what is going on & what do I have to do get rid off those initializing commands ? I have never had this happen to any previously owned Dell systems.

Also I haven't installed any drivers yet but Sound, Video & Internet works. Do I need to install any drivers 7 if yes, which ones ?

Here is the Configuration of Workstation T-7500 :

Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5645 2.40GHz, 12M cache, 5.86 GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT, 6C
    Intel(R) 5520 Chipset
    DOS Factory Installed (English)
    Integrated Intel(R) SATA 3.0Gb/s controller with support for RAID
    Integrated High Definition Audio
    Integrated Broadcom(R) 5761 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    12 500GB 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA Hard Drive 1
    Integrated LSI 1068e SAS/SATA 3.0Gb/s controllerGB (6x2GB) DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1333MHz, ECC
    16X max SATA DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write Capabilities
    Chassis Intrusion Switch
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 Monitor with LED
    256MB PCIex16 ATI FirePro(TM) 2260 Multi-View, Dual DP, DP-DVI cable x1
    AX510 Multi-Media Audio Bar 1
    Dell(TM) MS111 USB Optical Mouse 1
    Dell Multimedia Pro Keyboard with Detachable Palmrest, English 1

Thanks

2. Those "commands" are normal. On other Dell systems, you probably had a dark screen for some seconds before the cursor appeared. They were doing the same as your T7500, just not displaying each item.

Windows 7 has a library of drivers and loads appropriate ones for your hardware, if present. Those drivers won't be optimal, so you should load updated ones for chipset(?), audio, internet and others which might apply to your specific peripherals.

Download the latest drivers and BIOS (if newer than yours) from Dell's website + ATI's website for your video card driver. Check back periodically for updated ones.

3. most of those are one time things. just let w7 load and set itelf up. it will find most of the drivers automatically.
    once that is done plug in your old hard drive as a slave drive and transfer the data you want to the new one.

4. trader12

trader12

Good to know. Thank You.

Dell has only Monitor & Video driver listed for my Sercice Tag.

I did find newer Video drivers from AMD.

But where do I find other drivers as you suggested ?

Audio & Internet is built in.

It says integrated High Definition Audio

Integrated Broadcom(R) 5761 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Chipset is Intel 5520

Thanks

5. All the drivers will be on Dell's website.

Audio and internet also have updated drivers. If you haven't used drivers from Dell's website, your computer is running those peripherals from its W7 library of drivers. That will work, but the proper drivers will work better.

Instead of getting to the driver download page using your service tag, use "Select by Model"... the T3500.

6. trader12

trader12

Hi Scataphagos,

I got Chipset & Video drivers but no luck with BIOS, Audio & Network drivers.

I tried as you suggested by model type ( T 7500 ) but still no luck.

Can you help please ?

Thank You

7. They are on Dell's website.

Go to Dell.com... in the lower part of the page is a listing of links.. use the Drivers and Downloads... then follow to select Desktops/Precision Workstations/Model (T7500)/OS etc... some of them haven't been updated since 2009, but if you installed from the disk that came with the computer, it's probably not the most current and you should be using the ones on Dell's site.

If you still can't get it, call me this morning and I'll walk you through it.

303-777-2350