how do i learn how to trade?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cole_, Mar 28, 2018.

1. cole_

cole_

I have no idea. where do I find the proper educational materials etc?
    how did you learn how to trade? please only answer that if you are making money trading.

thanks

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

You can try a mentoring program.

Sprout likes this.
  3. zdreg

zdreg

mentoring as in paying for a teacher?

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Mentoring programs teach specific strategies. They can cost anywhere from $2000 to $5000. If you find a good one they can speed up the process and give you tools to make money.

Slartibartfast likes this.
  5. Go to tastytrade.com. Option alpha is also very good!

6. You have to be patient, and calm, and hungry, and smart, and clever and naturally observant and inquisitive and open-minded.

All those trading books out there lays decent foundation groundwork for basic learning, but don't expect any of them to make you rich in the market.
    You have to carve out your own angle of a recipe to exploit and deploy.

There is no simple, generic, basic, short answer to give out to every prospective trader out there.
    Every person, and personality and history and skills etc etc are all somewhat unique cases.

What works for me in fruitful trading abundance, may make 1,000 other people instantly poor. -- and more or less, vice versa.
    All those websites out there provides trading definitions and common examples, and that's the extent of it.
    2018 ET. o_O

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  7. I used one at the beginning as I felt it beneficial to have a class to attend. "One does go through a do I really need this, is it just a waste of capital?" phase but I am not sorry I took a trading school approach.

Of course.. the success rate of futures trading students one of the tutors advised me in person was just a few percent. Only a handful make it, the benefit of a school is they may be profitable faster than the rest might lose less money before seeing sense.

8. QFund

QFund

I learnt the hard way - busting many accounts! Never start off with trading with money that you can not afford to lose.
    A good starting point is ask yourself why do you want to trade? I say this because many people start off trading because they are frustrated in their daily jobs and think this is an alternative. If you have to be successful in this business you got to love it. you need to understand losing is part of the game.
    if you have passion towards trading, then the next thing is to list down your goals, find out what sort of trading style you prefer, what will suit your personality.

There might be plenty of books around - but I have read the following and found useful.
    John Carter's Mastering the trade, Trading the Zone by Mark Douglas, Definitive guide to position sizing by Van Tharp for Money management, Howard B Bandy's books ( i might be biased here since I use amibroker. Prototyping your ideas quickly will really help.)

Do not forget the psychology part in addition to risk management!

Looking back, I might have fast-tracked if I had a mentor (someone reliable and has a track record - better if you know that person in real :) ) at the beginning. I got one who happens to be my friend a bit too late.

Good luck!

QFund

9. tdeu

tdeu

10. https://www.babypips.com/learn/forex

You can learn the basics and even some advanced trading stuff here for free. Do not go and start trading the methods right away with real money. If you can find a mentor, even better. I personally found that trading has never been a easy binary endeavor. If that was the case, everyone would be billionaires.

#10     Mar 28, 2018