How do I get rid of all these anti-virus pop-ups?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by rhamos, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Go to the HiJack This! forums and get started posting your log for the gurus over there to start helping you find the contagion and destroy it. You are at DEFCON 5 now.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/hijackthis-log-help/

#31     Aug 23, 2008
  2. all the antivirus softwares can't kill these viruses. it'll detect and try to block it, but it's a repeating process. best thing is to reinstall windows.

#32     Aug 23, 2008
  3. TraderA

TraderA

I picked up a bad case of adware/spyware last week, kept popping up windows and trying to get me to buy anti-spyware software and other stuff. Nothing would get rid of it, not my McAfee, not ad-aware, nothing. Finally yesterday I turned to Windows Defender free from Microsoft. Found it instantly and deleted/quarantined it without any fuss. Turns out it is called a Trojan:Vundo.BR by many anti-spyware companies.

Good luck.

Andrew

#34     Sep 2, 2008
  4. Sorry being a latecomer to this thread, but I have to come to the defense of Spybot S&D. I'm not sure what you mean about their database not being updated. I religiously do the update every week for this app and it's being actively maintained.

I can't say one way or the other about A-Squared; it may be just fine, but Spybot S&D does work well.

#35     Sep 2, 2008
  5. go to smitfraud.com. Run it just like it says. See if that clears it up. Otherwise, reinstall Windows.

Can you believe people acturally give these scum credit card information? After they infect you? Amazing.

#36     Sep 2, 2008
  6. Your options:

1. Uninstall your AV software and take your chances.
    2. Configure your AV software options to stop popups.
    3. Upgrade your shareware-version AV software to a full version to get rid of most popups.

#37     Sep 2, 2008
  7. Spybot is no longer being supported with updates. The guy running it said as much.

If you Google it you'll get a ton of hits.

Superantispyware is its replacement, pretty much.

#38     Sep 2, 2008
  8. Mark2m

Mark2m

I have used PC Tool, which the free version will work. The problem is that the free version will quarantine but no removal. Quarantine doesn't help when the virus is imbedded in the system, and once you boot it will come back. I am presently using the full $$$ version of PC Tool or PC Doctor and that is working out, also consider AVG, since I trade for a living I have to protect two computers, although we have five in the house.
    Note: problem with PC Tool is you may have to increase your virtual memory since it does take a lot of VM size on your processes. (I think the same problem with Norton)
    Check and monitor via ctl-alt-del, @ windows task manager, look at processes and you will see what I mean.
    Whatever you do, don't get into registry to remove some virus manually, I speak from experience.

#39     Sep 27, 2008
  9. #40     Oct 5, 2008