How do I get rid of all these anti-virus pop-ups?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by rhamos, Aug 22, 2008.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

try this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323875

#21     Aug 23, 2008
  2. Its a pain but its probably faster than the alternative: formatting the drive and reinstalling EVERYTHING (If you don't have a recent image).

Also, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but turn windows system restore off so this garbage doesn't ever come back again later.

#22     Aug 23, 2008
  3. Your attachment shows this alert is generated from TrendMicro anti-virus. Unless you have reason to believe this is a false positive, you really need to deal with it, as prescribed by TrendMicro for starters.

Of more importance, in the process, you may discover the "reason" you got it in the first place, giving you further defense (or not) in your on-going computer usage.

Osorico

#23     Aug 23, 2008
  4. #24     Aug 23, 2008
  5. #25     Aug 23, 2008
  6. Thanks Osorico. Manual scan always shows up clean, and Emergency Lock ... I can't even find that ... lol.

This only pops up when I'm online (I only do "clean" surfing, by the way :cool: ), and by it saying it "blocked a network" virus, I was hoping it's just a re-occurring external threat that is actually getting blocked every time.

But you seem to be saying you think it's on my machine. So since my efforts to update service packs and everything else have not fixed the problem, I may have to hire someone to help.

Thanks again for replying.

My apologies again to the OP.

#26     Aug 23, 2008
  7. Yes, it's SOMETHING on your machine. Fortunately it is being blocked. You are hitting a website (or sites) that are attempting to "execute" a specific file, and that specific file apparently exists and is a known threat of some sort according to your av program.

Now then, a quickie search on the TrendMicro virus encyclopedia using the MS02-039 wording on your posted virus alert, reveals this link...
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_MS02.039

Click the various links within, and determine for yourself.

As a side note, I find the FREE version of SuperAntiSpyware a superb product for after the fact cleaning.
    http://superantispyware.com/

Osorico

#27     Aug 23, 2008
  8. you've been compromised :eek:

#28     Aug 23, 2008
  9. rhamos

rhamos

Tomahawk, no problem :)

Ok, so my tech is going to log in remotely and try and clean this up for me. I will probably buy some spyware as well, but now I am not sure whether to go with the A-squared or the Spyzooka?

I would love to know how I got this...I am really careful what I look at online, as this is my trading computer. I do use Facebook, and my fiance has been on you tube a few times. I never download extra programs or music etc. The oddest thing is that I have an old computer back in the office with no protection whatsoever and it is always fine.

#29     Aug 23, 2008

10. Thanks again Oso.

Yes I've done the searches and followed all the links in the past ... downloaded pattern files, etc. , and gotten as far as I can on my own without the background to know what any of this stuff really is. I have to admit I'm in a bit over my head when dealing with the guts of pc system stuff (I come from more of a Mac background).

In any case, your confirmation that there is a bug in my system, (despite the failure of TrendMicro scanning to pick anything up) is a big help to me ... much appreciated.

#30     Aug 23, 2008