How do I get rid of all these anti-virus pop-ups?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by rhamos, Aug 22, 2008.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

this spam ware is pretty hard to kill. You better off just back up your files and do a clean installation.

#11     Aug 22, 2008
  2. rhamos

rhamos

This is the site it goes to when you click the red X (prob not a good idea to go to it but just to show you ) main-scanner.com/2009/9/_freescan.php?aid I deleted the last few numbers etc so the link won't work. I don't know how to tell what the name of the virus is, but I currently have 4 pop-ups of the exact same thing running in my box. Reformatting is beyond me, so I will prob just call a tech in. I trade on this computer so I definitely don't want to lose my files.

thanks for all the replys...forex-forex I hope you get your's sorted out too !

#12     Aug 22, 2008
  3. If you don't want to erase your computer you can download and run spybot search and destroy which will remove all but one if it's the standard adware package that I've seen distributed.

The other infection (the one that it doesn't remove) is called something like vundo, and latest MS update will remove that one.

#13     Aug 22, 2008
  4. sg20

sg20

5. A-Squared Anti-Malware is the bomb.

It eviscerates any and every malware/trojan horse I or anyone I've known has ever had.

Spybot S&D is completely antiquated, and they haven't even updated their database in what?... 8 months now?

superantispyware is okay.

A-Squared is by far the most powerful, IMO. It detects shit that nothing else I've tried does.

If you're using Comodo Pro, you may want to raise your settings to a higher level.

Also, Avira AntiVir can be run along with Comodo, as it is very lean on resource utilization, and adds even more protection.

You shouldn't be getting any pop-ups at all - something is wrong with your browser settings - hope you're using Firefox 3.01 with pop-up blocker on.

#15     Aug 22, 2008
  6. This is more than "browser settings" and "pop-up blockers", it isn't that simple. The Antivirus XP 2008 gets right into your computer and the pop ups come up even when you are not running a browser.

I just finished formating my hard drive and since my WinXP backup discs were useless I installed Linux Fedora 8, which I had from a Linux mag I bought a few months ago. So far so good. :)

#16     Aug 23, 2008
  7. zdreg

zdreg

unfortunately you should not have clicked the run tab. what is the proper procedure assuming that you did not click the run tab. there was a popup. what is the next step?

thanks

#17     Aug 23, 2008
  8. sg20

sg20

The better way is to exit the web browser by Control + Alt + del to exit the infected page, you can then safely resume surfing the net again.

#18     Aug 23, 2008
  9. Forgive me for the intrusion, but on the subject, does anyone know whether this is an actual virus or just an alert to a virus-block as it states? I keep getting this pop-up but that is all that ever happens (I follow what it says to do, but that is always a dead end).

By the way I'm on Windows XP with TrendMicro PC-cillen anti-virus. Thanks in advance.

#19     Aug 23, 2008
  10. nkhoi

nkhoi

who have time to do all of these;

Remove XPAntivirus manually
    Another method to remove XPAntivirus is to manually delete XPAntivirus files in your system. Detect and remove the following XPAntivirus files:

Processes

XPAntivirus.exe
    XPAntivirusUpdate.exe
    xpa2008.exe
    sefind.exe
    download.exe
    install_v2.exe
    xpa.exe
    xpantivirus2008_v880019.exe
    xpantivirus2008_v880070.exe
    xpantivirus2008_v880076.exe
    xpantivirus2008_v880136.exe
    xpantivirus2008_v880157.exe
    xpa2008pro.exe
    xpa1503_en.exe
    xpscanner.exe
    xpa_eng.exe
    XPantivirus2008_v880378[1].exe
    XPantivirus2008_B28[1].exe
    DLLs

shlwapi.dll
    wininet.dll
    msplg7.dll
    Other Files

XPAntivirus.lnk
    XP antivirus
    Uninstall XPAntivirus.lnk
    XPAntivirus on the Web.lnk
    XPAntivirus.url
    %ProgramFiles%\XPAntivirus
    XP Antivirus 2008.lnk
    Uninstall XP Antivirus 2008.lnk
    estsprt.sys
    helper.sys
    scui.cpl
    Registry Keys

HKEY_USERS\Software\XP antivirus
    XP antivirus
    HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"XP antivirus" = "C:\Program Files\XPAntivirus\XPAntivirus.exe"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\XP antivirus_is1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\XPAntivirusFilter
    Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\XP Antivirus 2008

#20     Aug 23, 2008