How do I get over wanting to "hit home runs?"

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by IronFist, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Very insightful post.

#21     Jun 22, 2008

2. Tick chasing will not get you rich, simple as that.

#22     Jun 22, 2008
  3. eagle

eagle

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the below remarks highlighted in blue.

#23     Jun 26, 2008
  4. Wait a sec.

This whole "selling half after x ticks profit and letting the other half ride with a stop loss set at entry + 1 tick..."

I was thinking what an awesome idea that is until I realized that in addition to increasing your winners, it's also going to DOUBLE your losses.

The only way it would also double your winners is if, after you sell half your position, the remaining half went up twice as far (ie. sell first half at +5 ticks, sell second half at an additional +10 ticks (+15 from entry)).

So wouldn't this strategy end up lowering your P/L?

#24     Jun 27, 2008
  5. nevadan

nevadan

Depends on your accuracy. Assume 30% losers. On two contracts and a six tick stop loss, then three losers = -36 ticks. If the remaining 7 trades go for six ticks and scratch the second half you have 42 ticks. If you are scalping you can't have a 50% win loss ratio. The whole idea requires that you can generate a profit with one contract consistently.

#25     Jun 27, 2008
  6. I just watch and move stops. ya don't want a bracket on a running profitable trade as a spike in your direction takes you out (unless the LIM is way up there).

I keep moving the stop, and place a LIM exit at any obvious supp/resis in my way. Usually.

#26     Jun 27, 2008