How do I get a job here?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by cashmoney69, Feb 19, 2008.

1. #11     Feb 19, 2008
  2. #12     Feb 19, 2008
  3. bt116

bt116

What youre insinuating is very hard to do in an environment like that. What they are going for is a 'team' (no individuals) environment in which everyone is watching everyone else and no one can pull one of those Soc Gen rogue trader moves. The more eyes you have watching, the more checks and balances you have.

#13     Feb 19, 2008
  4. This isn't true, the best way to get in is by having experience. I beleive most of the people working there are doing client execution, they aren't making the trading decisions, that isn't where the money is. (Except for a select few) UBS makes its money providing brokerage/clearing services for clients, not by trading for its own account.

Trading your $5,000 account on IB from your basement probably isn't the kind of experience they are looking for. Working for an exchange or a fund or a different execution desk would provide that experience. It really isn't as hard as people make it seem to get a job like that, if you ahve the proper experience. If you don't have it, go get it, go get a job as a clerk for a trader on an exchange floor or something.

Good Luck

5yr

#14     Feb 19, 2008
  5. rosy2

rosy2

UBS's chicago trading desk is more than half empty. ghost town.

most of the people you see in those pics are not traders but sales, analysts, support, etc. Almost all the traders that may be in those pics are flow traders; not speculators or even arbitraguers.

#15     Feb 19, 2008
  6. #16     Feb 19, 2008
  7. The best way to get in is to know someone on the inside... :D the higher up the better...

#17     Feb 19, 2008
  8. bt116

bt116

PLace looks cool as hell.....but it's got some serious 'ain't gots'.

1. It's in the middle of nowhere in CT. Don't let anyone tell you that the commute from NYC is a breeze or is short in any way. Metro north will take you an hour min.

2. UBS is supposedly one of the more 'conservative' banks in terms of trading. I think someone already mentioned it, but they like to play 'market' or agent rather than alot of spec trading.

3. Big open floor like this, your boss(es) will always be watching you when you're talking to that guy in commodities trading who said he might be able to help you move onto another desk.

4. Did i mention it's in CT?

#18     Feb 20, 2008
  9. So where can i get a trading job where I trade someone elses money they way I want?

do any firms hire traders that have their own profitable trading methods?..and im NOT talking about prop shops.

#19     Feb 20, 2008
  10. Midas

Midas

Why don't you put up a few bucks and go to an equity prop. firm?

#20     Feb 20, 2008