How do I close Sept. Future today?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Kendall, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Kendall

Kendall

I have NQ U8 long. Does it just get rolled over at the end of the day? I can't sell right now, last was 1779 probably 50 points off that now.

2. Kendall

Kendall

no help here. Will it convert to cash at the last price traded? 1779

3. gnome

gnome

No, it does NOT automatically get "rolled over"... it's still trading... right? I think it "settles for cash" on the last day of the month (??)

Your risk is still "live", though SEP is no longer the front month.

4. Kendall

Kendall

It expired at 9:30 am so I think IB closed it out. Not sure though, hopefully the settlement is close to the high of the day.

5. Volume rolled over a week ago to the new contract. Why trade a contract with dying volume?

6. Actually I was trading Sept as late as yesterday. I had puts on (until Wens) and because of that crazy SET system I try to keep my positions apples vs. apples.

7. Ohhhhhhh options... ok, I get it.

8. Yea I was using futures against them. But y-day I traded sept naked. Swing trade didn't care about liquidity.

About 3 years ago (might have been 9/05 or there abouts) there was some ridiculous disparity between the index settlement used on the open (SET) and where the index was truly trading. Blew out several options traders. Ever since I try to trade the front until the bitter end.

9. You're settled at 1768.09.

10. Kendall

Kendall

Thanks man

#10     Sep 19, 2008