How do holds work when selling naked options?

Discussion in 'Options' started by TWORIP, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jj90

jj90

I am referring to the 1987 scenario that others have pointed out. If you couldn't get that, well..... Is english your 1st language or are you just overcome with insecurity that we aren't all kowtowing to your briliance?

#51     Feb 14, 2009
  2. sirziggy

sirziggy

The 87 scenario is what spured the 20% discussion. Dow lost 22% that day. Mathmatically, if you incured the loss, you'd be looking at roughly 10-15%.

We can all argue this all we want. If the entire stock market once again lost 20%, from his 80p strike, and he didn't do anything until right at the close when he BTC the puts, his losses would have been 16.00 per share on his 1k shares. Offset by the income received from the original sale of the calls and puts.

In normal trading, I would venture to say the largest 1 day loss in either the q's or the spy was around 10% over the past 12 months. And that's the market losing 900+points. That would still only make his losses about 5-8% if he just closed them out. It's not hard to make up 5%, it's hard to make up 50%.

#52     Feb 14, 2009
  3. TWORIP

TWORIP

First off, why did you take all the "dol"s out of my quote that you quoted there lol!. I thought you preffered that word.

Second you still have not given us a clear picture of what actually
    happened when you supposedly went bang on selling all these 1000's of naked options. What strategy were you using, what didn't you do that made you flop? If you are so helpful, let us know please?

I saw one of your books, the "buy and hold". How has that worked out for you and the people that took that advice the last 18 months?

I am not sure what sound advice you have given me that i didn't already cover or eliminate the need for?

Seems to me you are trying to save your rep, bash my strategy which you still have yet to do successfully just to sell your books to the newbs?

#53     Feb 14, 2009
  4. TWORIP

TWORIP

Woah again sir ziggy!
    I like that alot. Do you have any books out?

#54     Feb 14, 2009
  5. sirziggy

sirziggy

No Two, no books, just life experience.

I'm trying to give you some contructive critism. As long as you stick to your strategy, you shouldn't be killed in normal trading. As long as you can afford to lose 10-15% in the 2 times per 100 years the market losses 20%, then you should survive. Since you spoke on Port Margin, obviously you have over 100k in the game, so just live careful.

#55     Feb 14, 2009
  6. jj90

jj90

sirziggy, I don't disagree. I never said one couldn't make money selling options and that the OP's idea was shit. I'm simply reiterating the inherent risks that other's have already pointed out. My gripe and I believe of many others is that the OP believes that it is the holy grail of trading and he comes off as being egotistical. The OP's tone is that my strat works, I don't need to listen to your guys input. Well then, why ask a simple question about margin that could be found on the OP's broker's website? Why keep asking for our input to the pitfalls of the strat? If one is asking for help, than either take it or leave it. No need to say my strat is better than yours. There's a reason 20 other people in this thread are saying the same thing. If he wants to assume the risk, great, carry on.

#56     Feb 14, 2009
  7. TWORIP

TWORIP

Lol so now that you actually realized you are out of your league, you refrain from challenging the strategy all together and agree with what we say?? Now all you are arguing is that i seem like i am a mr know it all, and attemp to put words in my mouth of me saying this is the holy grail of trading strategies? Pathetic. Maybe you should go buy that "buy and hold" book for newbs.

#57     Feb 14, 2009
  8. sirziggy

sirziggy

I'll say this.

1. You can lose money buying calls and puts
    2. You can lose money selling calls and puts
    3. You can lose money going long stock
    4. You can lose money shorting stock

Find a strategy, test it, trade it, share it. That's what this is all about.

I'm always happy to answer any questions that come my way if I know the answer. If not, I'll always give my opinion. lol

#58     Feb 14, 2009
  9. TWORIP

TWORIP

Thanks ziggy. That was just what i was looking for - good advice. Also good catch on the PM, i am trading with a bit of capitol. I would'nt be as "confident" in my strategy as i am if i thought there was a big chance i were to lose it all.
    Let me know if you ever have any more advice for me, i would like to stay in touch!

#59     Feb 14, 2009
  10. Mark

#60     Feb 14, 2009