How difficult can be to find me a mentor as systematic trader?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Franky, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Franky

Franky

Hello, gents.

I would like to become a trader (sounds stupid to say, I know). I like to do coding and creating strategies, but because it's a long journey I want to make sure I have a valid conceptual framework to rely upon. I think that many spend years just because they want to do things they're way without listening to any advice.

I am wondering if I can find any serious course, maybe online regarding systematic trading. I came across Kevin Davey who's offering is own mentoring service, but it does cost a lot of money.

I would feel more safe to invest with an entity like a university.

Would you mind to share with me possible options for studying systematic trading through an online training course offered trusted source?

My objective is to build directional trading systems to be applied to futures, forex and stocks using a platform like AmiBroker or Tradestation.

Kind Regards.

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

read the archives of this site.

3. Read stuff by Ernie Chan, including his book. You can also find things if you search other online fora (e.g. NucPhy).

In my experience, the odds of a paid online trading course actually offering value are quite low.

4. Finding a snake oil seller who will mentor you shouldn't be very hard (I assume you have a few PMs already by now), but finding a successful trader willing to mentor you ain't likely going to happen.

I suggest you start out with Trading Systems & Methods by Perry Kaufman.

I have this version:

I suppose the newer ones are better, but I wouldn't know.

It's a nice primer or bible on technical trading and includes a lot of sample code for Tradestation (which I personally never used).

I think this should be a good starting point for you, but know that you have a very long road ahead of you! :)

Franky and Handle123 like this.
  5. Handle123

Handle123

Leraning to trade is not like you might think, first you can not be taught but you can be directed, beginning students require like two years of being under someone's wing, you cannot learn in less time and even attempt to become profitable. Then there are mountains of homework you get, going through previous days, weeks, months of charting and do by hand because under you draw where signals are and watch price action, you will never learn price action if you don't do it this way, then whoever you find has to want to give up two years of their time to work with you instead of doing anything else. And even after all that, no guarantee to have what it takes. And a good mentor will make it so fricking hard to allow you to ever real time trade by making you sim 18 or 20 days being profitable, you have to be able to compete against the best and would you have anyway less? You have so much to memorize until it becomes like breathing. Do yourself a favor, learn how to trade options and time decay, mush more money in that.

Most Vendors won't care enough unless you paying them each month, and if they were any good, them be trading cause whatever you could pay them, they should be making in a day and not having to deal with the public.

Xela likes this.
  6. Franky

Franky

I got that book. I also read two which I understood by E. Tomasini and Kevin Davey.

I should invest in a decent platform, but as I said it's also about trial and errors and can take ages. I wanted to study with a serious institution to rely on a conceptual framework to validate my trading ideas.

It's already a long journey, I would like to make sure I am heading the right direction. I hope it makes sense.

Kind Regards.

7. Read and digest the posts in this forum. You will gain alot of ideas. "Tenet Nosce" = know yourself. Believe me, trading reveals a great deal about your character. Rule #1 - trade with the odds on your side. If you dont know the odds... dont trade it. That is a very good place to start. Good hunting

8. If I wanted find a knowledgeable mentor, that probably would be you!

9. qxr1011

qxr1011

there are no serious institution that teach trading, and no serious people either...

someone may give you a good tip here and there, but that is all...

you are on your own

beginner66 likes this.
  10. #10     Apr 19, 2016