How different is trading index etf (SPY) against SP ES-Mini ?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by ctarmor-et, May 21, 2008.

1. lindq

lindq

Look into ER. IMO, much easier to trade than ES, with more opportunities.

Good luck.

#11     May 24, 2008
  2. Big difference in taxation:

SPY has a wash sale rule (unless you are classifed by the IRS as a trader);

ES does not.

#12     May 24, 2008
  3. Biggest differences are leverage and taxation.

It's more reasonable to start in SPY and as you become consistently profitable make the transition to ES.

Susana

#13     May 24, 2008
  4. blackdog

blackdog

Do you have the temperment to watch your p&l swing like a monkey on a tree in a matter of seconds? If not, stick with SPY. ES is like SPY on rocket fuel and steroids.

#14     May 24, 2008
  5. Thanks for all you responses.

I ran some analysis on my style of trading and came up that 500 shares of SPY = 1 ES mini. The main reason I wanted to find this diff is becasue my starting style is with 500 shres anyway.

One big difference is that with SPY I can get out on penny increments, where with ES I have to suffer .25 ($12.50) move (from what I read on the contract spec)

I suspect the ES liquidity is as good as SPY so slippage should be minimal ....

I am liking the futures becasue is less regualted and I do not have to get a series 7 for levelrage ! .....

As long as liquidity is there my current SPY/SPX tech analysis should still work with ES ...

Thanks again ....

#15     May 31, 2008
  6. :confused:

I suggest you keep learning about the futures markets before putting real money at risk.

#16     May 31, 2008
  7. Thanks .. that was I been doing the past few weeks .. a different beast ...

Any good books you recommend ?

#17     Jun 1, 2008