how did you learn trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by tomlelab, May 12, 2005.

1. tomlelab

tomlelab

Hi,
    I'am a beginner in stock trading. I try to learn from other traders, for example at tradermatch.com where you can watch others trade live. I am interested to know whether you think uou learned more from others or from pratciucing by yourself ?

lawrence-lugar likes this.
  2. You have two ways to go about this, teach and learn on your own, this is the more expensive route, IMO. Find a mentor who is willing to work with you and teach you the business of trading. This is least expensive route, IMO. It is the route I followed and the one that countless others who have gone before me have followed.

Either way, good luck!

Mike

3. Try both

Learn on your own, and find a good mentor to learn from.

dugan176 likes this.
  4. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

5. Either way will be expensive. Inevitably you will trade on your own, even if you have a mentor, and lose money (aka learn lessons, pay tuition, etc.). IMO, there's only one way to truly learn...the hard way. Just make sure to keep your trades small. This way you'll still have money when you've finally embraced your strengths/weaknesses and are ready to trade profitably.

6. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

try and trade opm (someone elses cash) first.

its cheaper, and whoevers cash it is will probably make sure they teach you a thing or 2 first.

in other words join a prop house

just my $0.02

7. JDE13158

JDE13158

I learned the basics from my parents and my job at the CBOT. Learning to trade your own way is necessary because you have to find a style that fits you. Don't try to copy anyone else's style.

8. ozzy

ozzy

Self taught.

Hmmmmmm....... ahhhhhh now it all makes sense.

ozzy

P.S It's always good to have a mentor, I wish I had one :mad:

9. Moreagr

Moreagr

hmmm i have been getting the wrong impression the last few months regarding prop shops.

i am self taught but its been along journey... its been about 11 months of real trading and i still cant seems to feel secure enough to quit my night job :(

some days or even weeks make very little money or small losses. not at the level to draw down my account yet. with expenses.

maybe i will go prop but have been hearing alot negative things about them.

10. mhashe

mhashe

Based on my experience and others I know, It takes an average of 2.5 to 3 years to Begin to break even, let alone be profitable. And that's doing it fulltime 24/7.

#10     May 13, 2005