How did you get your trading capital?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by SomeYoungGuy, Apr 29, 2010.

1. that is an epic structured credit swap right there. congratulations

#21     Apr 29, 2010
  2. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Live below your means and save.

#22     Apr 30, 2010
  3. dalen

dalen

Try to get a well paying job, live below your means and save. I have my Pipe fitters ticket which allowed me to work out of town on Industrial jobs and save a ton since all you do is work. I could work 6 months, take home 80k, and have the rest of the year off to trade. The quality of life is rough, but it was well worth it.

#23     Apr 30, 2010
  4. In 1973, when I was a junior in high school, my cousin and I bought soybeans before the Russians bought our crop. I invested $1500, and so did he(cousin was a runner at the CBOT). I ended up making over $60K, which I promptly lost within 6 months. Kept trading over the next few years, playing poker, making book, and buying and selling substances. In grad school, scraped together $9K to trade mini contracts at the old Mid-Am. Turned $3K into about 30K in 3 years while doing the grad school thing Leased a big seat after grad school, and started trading spreads(exchanges don't impose margins on locals for spreads, it's all marked to market). By '83, I was pretty secure and on my way. Been doing it ever since without trading money for others, or having another job.

#24     Apr 30, 2010
  5. volente_00

volente_00

underground pharmaceutical salesman ?

:)

#25     Apr 30, 2010
  6. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

#26     Apr 30, 2010
  7. donnap

donnap

Who didn't turn a little back then:D

#27     Apr 30, 2010
  8. internet boom in the 90s and 00s
    the boom was a decent for me.

#28     Apr 30, 2010
  9. Made a little money in the music industry, mostly in commercials.

Now that I mainly just trade, I often ask myself why I ever chose 2 such ridiculous occupations.

#29     Apr 30, 2010
  10. Freedom maybe?

#30     Apr 30, 2010