How did you get into trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BricksandMortar, Jun 2, 2005.

1. No, you are not the only one. I was trading stocks and kept getting his postcards and letters. I would read through them and throw them in the trash, where they belonged. Or so I thought.

Then my brother called me cause he fell for the postcard and ordered his kit. Was papertrading and was up like 10,000 on paper. Telling me it was the best thing since sliced bread. I told him to call me once he was trading real money. He did, was up a few grand in a short period of time. So I ordered his kit.

Looking back at it now I think his stuff is very basic and bareboned. But it did get me started in futures, which may not have happened otherwise. The more I learn about futures the more profitable it gets.

He is living proof that there is more money to be made teaching trading then from actually trading.

#31     Jun 3, 2005
  2. I know...NYC aint cheap :D!!!

#32     Jun 3, 2005

3. You got that right. I was up in the penthouse of the Mandarin Oriental a while back. 8,000 sguare foot apartment on the 80th floor, with 360 degree views of Manhattan, all for a measley 45 million dollars. Plus a monthly maintenence fee of $42,000, each and every month. I would be somewhat happy just to be able to afford the maintenence fee!!!

I was able to see my house from up there. Its right by the delaware water gap, 70 miles away!

#33     Jun 3, 2005
  4. Did they charge you $300 just to step inside and look at the view?

If they did, I'm sure it was worth it.

Coinz

#34     Jun 3, 2005
  5. drobin

drobin

Realized some trading moves were less expensive than some real estate deals. Now have the potential to use profits from trading or actual stock to buy more R.E..:cool:

#35     Jun 3, 2005
  6. buylo

buylo

6 years ago, I was parking a trader's car at a highrise I worked at in Chicago. He kept getting home at 2:00 PM. I asked him what he did and told me he was a trader. I asked for an interview and actually got one. Literally, begged for a job at his prop firm and got it.

First day on the job I was sitting next to the owner filling cash orders on Cantor:

OWNER: "OK. Go ahead and hit the bid."

ME: "What's a bid?"

#36     Jun 3, 2005

7. No. I am lucky enough to gain some good business contacts. But you are correct, $300 would have been cheap to go up there. Pretty friggin impressive.

Basically it made me realize there is another world out there. Where there is so much money they can piss it away for decades and still have plenty to spare.

I was in the north tower. The south tower was purchased by a guy that paid 45mil, but wanted a two story entrance, so he spent another 15mil buying space on the 79th floor. 60mil for the apartment. Thats bare concrete floors and walls. Now you gotta spend 20-40 million to make it nice!

The really cool part is that the guy lives in London and only uses the apartment when he comes to NY.

ps: as nice as the apartment is, it does have a downside. Parking is not included.

#37     Jun 3, 2005
  8. Does he have a stable of rare Egyptian show horses in the apartment too?

And if he does... let me know if he's looking for a stable-cleaner.

#38     Jun 3, 2005
  9. Libertad

#39     Jun 3, 2005
  10. Threei

Threei

You made me re-live 1996-1998. 11K left in battered account, no other means to live on, no profession, no even right to work - talk about scared money! But hey, I know firsthand two things: 1. It's immensely hard and 2. It's doable. Cornered man is capable of much if he can function under pressure. Hang in there.

Vad

#40     Jun 3, 2005