How did you get into trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by BricksandMortar, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Threei

Threei

I didn't "get" into it... I invented it :D

Half joking. Here is the story. Being fed up with combination of mafia and corrupted police in Ukraine, in 1996 came to Canada with visitor visa. Applied for immigration and, as a businessman from highly corrupted and criminal country, became a subject of background checking. Little did I know at the time - it took leisured state machine 4 years to make sure I am not a gangster. Meanhwile, having status of visitor, one cannot work... can run a business, however. So, with wife who couldn't work and two kids that couldn't go to school (same problem with status), I had to start business.

Now, put yourself in my shoes: with no English, no slightest experience in totally different and unfamiliar social and economic environment, what kind of business can you run? Logic says, one with minimal interaction with other people. At this point my line of thoughts stopped as I couldn't even imagine this kind of business. As it happens, chance came to rescue. Fleeting conversation with russian-speaking guy who showed me a chart of a stock he bought recently at 11 and was going to sell at 17. Realizing that I could not do all the research he told me about, I asked (don't laugh... or do, whatever :p ) whether stocks move on intraday basis so one could try and profit from them with no or little research; whether it's possible to send orders to buy and sell and get them filled in reasonable time - within 1 hour (yeah, I know, laugh all you want :) ) . He said yes to both but he never heard of anyone doing that. Armed with electronic translator, I started surfing the web. In a month or so I had account with Datek. In couple more months I stumbled onto some sites that showed me I was not the first one to think of that. Damn, I was so proud to invent it :D :D The rest of a story is published.

There you go, glad if you got a smile or two.

Vad

#11     Jun 2, 2005
  2. cable

cable

Vad, good story. How are you doing with your trading?

#12     Jun 2, 2005
  3. Threei

Threei

Thank you. Can't complain really... after two years of living horror got it right... Techniques of Tape Rreading has all the details of everything that happened during those two years and after, lessons learned, approach to trading etc... If interested, grab it in the library or a bookstore - I don't really care whether you buy it, considering laughable royalties :D

#13     Jun 2, 2005
  4. i walked into walter scotts room and heard the famous "you are going to be a millionaire" words ":))

walter scott was the guru in worldco for those that dont know

#14     Jun 2, 2005
  5. Worked three different places .At the first job manager was sicko, hated almost every nation and race except Germans, he worked me so hard, finely I end up in the hospital from exaction so I quit it. At my second job, in short period of time, because of my knowledge and performance, boss started to like me very much but the manager saw in me series treat to his position so he made my life miserable and I hade to leave. My third job after two years of working there I was better then guys who work there eight and more years so they started to hate me and doing anything possible to make me problems, one of them even tried fist fight. Then I started to search for something where I won’t have to deal with workers and managers, where I can use my mind and be me. That is how I got here and love it.
    ps. There is much mo to it ,sometime I thigh I should write book about it.
    Sorry about my English

#15     Jun 2, 2005
  6. sprstpd

sprstpd

While in grad school I was invested in mutual funds til I read a website called Motley Fool. Pulled my money from mutual funds and bought some internet stocks right before their meteoric rise. I managed to lose about half of my portfolio value from the top before cashing out - still made some money. In retrospect, I was just damn lucky - the money I made was my seed money for later on. From there I just stumbled onto a strategy while doing some research. I went live with the method shortly thereafter and did well for a few years. Have had to change strategies multiple times since.

#16     Jun 2, 2005
  7. Well, brokers have kids going to college. They need all the help they can get.:D

#17     Jun 2, 2005
  8. it seems 1/2 the day traders are russian. seriously why is it russian over other ethnic groups are attracted to day trading? most of genesis owners and top offices seem to be russian

#18     Jun 3, 2005
  9. ozzy

ozzy

Saw my dad make millions, I said wholly shit if he can do it I can do it.

But I would have to say I was interested in the markets long before I saw my dad making trades.

P.S - In addition, I was a born rebel. I can't stand ppl telling me what to do, unless I respect them (and unfortunately there are very few ppl I respect in this world). This and my passion for trading led me to choose this as a career.

#19     Jun 3, 2005
  10. ozzy

ozzy

Could it be a laundry service? Hmmmmmm

#20     Jun 3, 2005