How did you all start?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Baker_Trader, Feb 13, 2003.

1. I was just wondering where and how all of you started? Like what age, and what education did you have?

And what advice do you have for someone who wants to have a career in the stock market?

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

3. links

links Guest

Started part time trading when I was 22, some 18 years ago. Despite having a masters in Computer Science from Columbia University failed miserably at trading. Took 12 long years to finally turn profitable.

Many paths lead to trading success, academic education is irrelevant. Study game theory, play blackjack. Try to have a good career to pay the bills while you learn to trade.

You will need a lot of persistence, the old zen proverb fall down eight times, get up nine...

Best of luck.

4. 12 years to turn profitable, without quiting.
    Wow! Now THATS what I call pit bull determination.
    Good job. ( No sarcasm at all ).

peace

axeman

5. Links, what in your 12 years of trading where you doing wrong? I wanna say money management but hell 12 years to figure it out is a long time! You must have learned a lot.

6. hal

hal

just started as a hobby

7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I started 3 years ago at 45.
    Lost a bundle in Mutual Funds.
    Figured I could not be worse than that!
    Did some stock picking and made 1% that year.
    Started day trading individual stocks.
    Switched to day trading QQQ.
    Now I trade NQ or ES. And now I make a profit!

We both trade full time now, and work at outside jobs 10 hours a weekend. For some Social Security at retirement and our health insurance requires we have the same Florida businesses. Go figure.

8. 0008

Started with stocks, then QQQ, then NQ/ES. This path seems to be quite common. I saw many such traders, including me. Does it mean trading index is better than trading stocks?

9. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Just More Profitable:D :D

10. regough

regough

NOTHING in the world can take the place of Persistence.

Bob.

#10     Feb 14, 2003