how did thus loss happen

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by met1989, May 15, 2018.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

This shouldn’t be pulling teeth.

Put all your transactions related to this clearly and in order with all the prices. Then work through how they came up with the math.

You aren’t ready to trade real money if you can’t provide this basic information.

#11     May 17, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  2. met1989

met1989

maybe im not good in math but you see yourself that you cant figure it out ;) and i better be ready hahha

also when i woke up monday after the option expired i had @ es futures in the account then in the relized column i had 1975$ so where do i get to a minus?!

#12     May 17, 2018
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

you are being lazy here and pushing all the work on me (whose trying to help you).

good luck figuring this out. ;)

#13     May 17, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  4. met1989

met1989

thanks a lot :) i really appreciate it if i figure it out ill let you guys know

#14     May 17, 2018
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

IB's Wayne B (a smart guy, been around for many years) told you that the cost basis of the call you bought was rolled into the price of the future you sold.

newwurldmn told you to "Put all your transactions related to this clearly and in order with all the prices."

You quoted $1376.42 for a call option -- a totally invalid number, but pulled from somewhere on your activity sheet. An ES ATM call for tomorrow's May18 expiry runs $7.75 right now -- two would run $14.50, and with commissions, an all-in price of $777.84.

From Wayne B's note to you, we learn that this is a demo account -- not a live account with a live-money question. (Do you understand the difference to your audience??!?)

Do not get anywhere near a live trade until you understand this stuff backwards and forwards and in your sleep and upon waking again. OR ELSE just give your money to charity, and claim a tax deduction and a warm feeling. Please.

#15     May 17, 2018
  6. met1989

met1989

Actually now I understand exactly what happned that makes sense and as u can see in my other posts I was debating if to go live in June after a year of demo trading and there is always learning curves somewhere but all in all I’m still almost 35% profit YTD on the demo ofcourse ;) thanks a lot for the help one day I will be explaining to other kids as well :)

#16     May 17, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  7. You might consider not letting the options go into expiration, where you lose all control. You could close the position before it expires, giving you control over the closing price. I sell credit spreads and never let positions go into expiration week where there can be wild and unpredictable swings in gamma and prices. This question was about a long position, but I would still close it myself.

#17     May 19, 2018
    met1989 likes this.