How did this tape happen with Apple?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by thatSAMazing, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Those questions are to Phlub btw.

#11     Jan 22, 2008
  2. Bullshit... there is no way EVERYONE can pull there bids so damn quick. One of these days look at the time and sales during an announcement and tell me that the price action makes sense.

The OP is pointing out something I also had noticed in the past. There HAS to be at least a few thousand shares bid or offered between ANY $5-$10 range in a stock like AAPL or RIMM.

When you look at the Time and Sales you will see pockets with ZERO bids or offers... and supposedly after hours there is no MM!?!?!??

If anyone has an educated answer I'd like to hear it.

#12     Jan 22, 2008

3. why do there have to be shares bid or offered?

the educated answer is there were no bids. it's just not that complicated.

i bought KBR at 24 today...how? because i was the only bid and someone sold to me.

#13     Jan 22, 2008
  4. AAA30

AAA30

I went long just after the number around 146 and change and dumped it for about a .40 cent gain within a secound or so. So there was a bid there but it did fall fast.

#14     Jan 22, 2008
  5. Phlub

Phlub

Well - my first 100 lot was sold at 154.02 and the rest a couple points lower.

No way in heck you could have 'waited for the guidance' then sold. The news feeds are simply not fast enough to give you any fighting chance of getting a good trade off.

The only way to trade news after hours in the GOOG/AAPL/BIDU's of the world is to have your finger on the trigger with an order alot lower or alot higher (if you are buying) and take a shot when the momentum starts to head in one direction. This CAN be quite risky, as GOOG and BIDU have shown us after hours in recent years. But as far as actually waiting to see the news item on the Dow or Bloomberg, it ain't gunna happen.

#15     Jan 22, 2008
  6. Ah,well I guess the nasdaq tape is just an inaccurate record then. Anyone know if there's a more accurate list out there?

#16     Jan 22, 2008
  7. Phlub

Phlub

I just scrolled through Time and Sales on eSignal and all the prints are there. Granted - there are literally 100's of prints every SECOND from 13:29:25 throug 13:30:15, but they are all there. SO, I guess that NASDAQ T+S is just messed up.

#17     Jan 22, 2008