how did the universe come to be? (NO RELIGION POSTS)

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by FRuiTY PeBBLe, May 26, 2003.

1. When we say "more advanced", we mean it in relation to our brains' processing power. So, in that respect, yes, I would agree that we seem to be the most advanced.

My question, though, was more to do with life in general. When I asked if you believe we are the most advanced, I meant it as are we "the best" creatures? Are humans, for example, the creatures best suited to life on Earth, most likely to ensure the survival of the species? In those kind of terms. (Of course, the big question is against what standard do we measure who is best, worst etc?)

I really don't have an answer myself, I've only recently thought about it. I'm curious as to what you might think about it.

#21     May 28, 2003
  2. i see what you're saying.....

i would say yes, we are probably the best evolved creatures on earth.

sure, there are many, many, types of animals with impressive qualities. look at the fast animals in africa that can chase down all the slower animals... or the moth that has wings that look like part of a tree so it doesn't get eaten. these are all cool things, but, imo, a good way to answer your question would be:

which thing could wipe out all (the most) others on earth?

could cougars do it? nope. they can outrun us, but we're able to create tools (weapons) which we could use to stop them.

an interesting point though are deadly viruses/bacteria. think of these simple organisms that can wipe out many humans! still though, i think we could do things to limit the devastation. i don't think any virus will wipe out 100% of earth's population.

keep in mind, things usually only need to be evolved enough for normal circumstances. if a huge object (comet) strikes earth, things have no reason to be prepared for those consequences, so they may be wiped out. a cougar is evolved good for its territory, but it will be no match for a human if humans decide to take over their territory.

good question....

#22     May 28, 2003
  3. dudes,

you guys are cracked if you don't think that humans are the most evolved creatures on earth. even to ask such a question is CRACKED !

LOL !

:D

#23     May 28, 2003

4. Surf, compare us to trees, for example. We live what, 80 years? They can live for thousands.

Would you call that "better" evolved?

So, you might say well, we can do all these wonderul things (run, jump, think, have sex etc) so therefore we're 'better'. But 'better' according to what standard? Why that standard (whatever it is you pick.)

Of course, for an evolutionist, it's very simple. It was all just one big random fluke. (Sometimes I think that's as bad as the die hard EMHers!)

#24     May 28, 2003
  5. not random. chaotic.

chaotic would be like.... there are explanations for everything, but there are so many explanations, it's hard to explain it all.

that said, is anything really random..

i would also not call it a fluke. evolution could be taking place all over the universe. would you call it a fluke then? it's pretty hard for me to say life can't exist elsewhere in the universe, when i am living proof that life can exist on this planet.

does anyone know why the hell all this stuff is here in the universe? i have no freaking clue, myself....

#25     May 28, 2003
  6. Perspective bias. Many people, perhaps yourself, would make the same No Need To Question statements about how the United States is The Greatest Nation On Earth. Even to ask such a question is considered TREASON by those people. Notice that the only people who make this statement are Americans, most of whom have never set foot outside of America, or a few fantasizing foreigners who have never set foot inside America.

#26     May 28, 2003
  7. LiverNoMore, what living thing on earth do you consider to be the best evolved, if not humans. please also state why. thanks

#27     May 28, 2003

8. first a BIG BANG. (prob sound like a car backfiring). then all HELL broke loose...

:-/

#28     May 28, 2003
  9. LongSnot

LongSnot

I bet a dollar on LongShot's theory. I want more Bang for my buck. :-\

#29     May 29, 2003