How Deep Would This Retreat Be?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tradingjournals, Dec 22, 2010.

1. I don't necessarily disagree with the idea, but I would highly recommend considering at least somewhat closer to the money puts.

The Feb SPY 118 puts are only ask at $108 as I type this. Better to pay a bit more and be that much closer to the money IMO.

JJacksET4

#11     Dec 22, 2010
  2. save your energy and bullets for real action trading..
    the market now in last two weeks of december is deadbeat trading.
    deadzone...

this is a no action market ..why do these guys even have afterhours trading in futures.. waste of time..waste of capital afterhours and mostly for market manipulation to run stops by market makers bots..HFT machines running stops etc
    afterhours is deadzone. contracts in other months have zero volume.

just a bunch of a-hole HFT machines flipping contracts with eash other..you can call 'wash volume' b.s. volume

#12     Dec 22, 2010
  3. Locutus

Locutus

Infinity really, but it's a long shot that will happen any day. Waiting another year for the big crash is not totally impossible I think.

#13     Dec 22, 2010
  4. the FED with quantitative easing is 100% responsible for rise in commodity,market index and crash of the dollar

wall street is cursed.

anyone who has manipulated the free market capitalism is punished with consequences...the FED will pay dearly or the public will pay for this Qauntative Easing in prop up markets with fake liquidity... there is no free lunch..consumers and buyers paying for the Qauntitiave Easing in terms of higher prices for everything including stocks. etc. limited assets and reason only market index stocks ar are participaing is big players can't a big enough position in illiquid stocks.

there is really no point in owning less than 10% of a company for serious investors.

#14     Dec 22, 2010
  5. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

I predict we touch 1300 by end of year, including one really nice pop sometime next week. At that point, some specialized shorts might materialize. But I'm thinking second week of January will be the best opportunity with short term puts going into expiry. Very little premium with possibilities for large gains overnight.

You are thinking a retreat is a given and it isn't. It could come in January, or it could come in February, or not at all. Support areas at 1250, 1225, 1177, 1120 are all significant.

So I'm going to throw a different angle at you. Forget the indexes. I think the very best shorting opportunity is looking for a correction in metal stocks, especially junior and midcap miners. If you hit this play, you'll make a lot of money within 24 hours. I doubt very much any index drop will satisfy permabears and the risk is you'll hold onto your shorts far too long and squander any trading gains.

#15     Dec 22, 2010
  6. Could you guys post summaries made in the press explaining today's red market open? It can be useful to see how they explain such things, now that the market is in the red.

Do you think it would turn green later today?

#16     Dec 23, 2010
  7. This whole week has been so quiet. Is anyone even trading? Best to come back next year.

#17     Dec 23, 2010