How Come No Desks At Investment Banks?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by YoungNAmbitious, Dec 21, 2002.

1. m22au

m22au

buzzy,

What if you're a star trader, but because it's difficult to advertise a hedge fund, you don't get enough interested investors to make it worthwhile?

I guess what I'm getting at is ... apart from friends and family ... how do you successfully market your hedge fund to people who would rather invest in a brand-name mutual fund that has lost money over the past 3 years, rather than invest with p2 or any other successful trader, who is capable of 50% plus per year?

#11     Dec 21, 2002
  2. Banjo

Banjo

12-17-02 01:57 PM
    interesting
    06:57 ET GS Goldman Sachs making riskier bets - WSJ (74.53)
    The Wall Street Journal reports that GS has increasingly grown more dependent for its profits on aggressive traders betting with the firm's cash; proprietary trading in a wide range of investments now could account for 25% or more of GS's income before taxes, analysts estimate, and is a bigger proportion than the historical percentage at GS and a larger share than the 5-20% that is typical of proprietary trading at rival firms; some senior people worry that it may be time to exercise more caution.

#12     Dec 21, 2002
  3. If you're good, and you're patient, the smart money will find you. You're not after dumb money, that's why they call it "dumb".

#13     Dec 21, 2002
  4. Yeah I saw that too. But the GS proprietary group has 10/20 people I think, and they weren't hired by GS, they were employees of some little company goldman bought out.

So 10-20 of how many thousands working for GS? I don't think there are a lot of job openings there. And, the bonus is 10% profits, I don't know why these guys give away the other 10% to intra-company welfare, must be because a hedge fund is more work and more responsability, or, maybe because their "edge" is information accesible only from GS.

#14     Dec 21, 2002